[comp.protocols.time.ntp] Time on Macs

ellozy@FARBER.HARVARD.EDU (Mohamed Ellozy) (06/12/91)

My apologies for a time related question that does not deal with NTP.

I can keep excellent time on my UNIX and VMS hosts with NTP, and
totally acceptable time on my PCs using the UDP time protocol at boot
time.  Is there an implementation of time protocol for Macs?  If so,
where can I get it from?

Any aditional hints much appreciated, as I am very new to Macs.

Mohamed

hintz@oz.ucop.edu (Richard Hintz) (06/13/91)

In article <9106112350.AA25184@farber.harvard.edu> ellozy@FARBER.HARVARD.EDU
(Mohamed Ellozy) writes:
  Is there an implementation of time protocol for Macs?  If so,
>where can I get it from?

Check out Pete Resnick's Network Time available from sumex-aim.stanford.edu.

Richard Hintz   opsrjh@uccvma.ucop.edu
University of California

ellozy@FARBER.HARVARD.EDU (Mohamed Ellozy) (06/13/91)

A couple of days ago I sent the following message to the list:

> My apologies for a time related question that does not deal with NTP.
>
> I can keep excellent time on my UNIX and VMS hosts with NTP, and
> totally acceptable time on my PCs using the UDP time protocol at boot
> time.  Is there an implementation of time protocol for Macs?  If so,
> where can I get it from?
>
> Any aditional hints much appreciated, as I am very new to Macs.
>
> Mohamed

The response was rapid and helpful.  I got so many "me too" messages
that I decided to mail a summary of what I found out.

There seems to be only one program, Network Time, written by Pete
Resnick, which can be ftp'ed from either sumex-aim.stanford.edu in
directory mac-info/cp (NOT cdev, now gone) or from wuarchive.wustl.edu
in directory mirrors/info-mac/cp (again, not cdev).

There were no real problems (other than my MacIgnorance, local gurus
helped).  MacTCP must be installed, and the domain name server should
be configured into it (else you must use numerical addresses).  More
tricky is that the timezone information comes from the Map utility.
This is described in the long document, but not in the brief Read me
file.  Thanks to John Palkovic for solving that problem for me.

I have two minor problems.  There is only room for one timeserver, so if
it is down the user is out of luck.  Also, there is a possibility of
periodic updates, at an interval specified in days.  Would be nice to have
finer granularity.  Normally, I may add, it is run at boot.

All in all a fine little piece of software.

Mohamed

resnick@COGSCI.UIUC.EDU (Pete Resnick) (06/14/91)

ellozy@farber.harvard.edu (Mohamed Ellozy) writes:

>There seems to be only one program, Network Time, written by Pete
>Resnick, which can be ftp'ed from either sumex-aim.stanford.edu in
>directory mac-info/cp (NOT cdev, now gone) or from wuarchive.wustl.edu
>in directory mirrors/info-mac/cp (again, not cdev).
>I have two minor problems.  There is only room for one timeserver, so if
>it is down the user is out of luck.  Also, there is a possibility of
>periodic updates, at an interval specified in days.  Would be nice to have
>finer granularity.  Normally, I may add, it is run at boot.

I want to thank Mohamed for this unsolicited plug of my prgram. I would
like to say in response to his problems that Network 2.0, which is due to
come out "real soon now" will allow up to four time servers and full System
7 support. Other improvements, such as the finer granularity of the
interval are still being solicited and considered.

Thanks again, Mohamed.

pr

--
Pete Resnick    	(...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

bvd@sserve.cc.adfa.oz.au (Brian Denehy) (06/15/91)

In article <9106131349.AA20100@farber.harvard.edu> ellozy@FARBER.HARVARD.EDU (Mohamed Ellozy) writes:
>A couple of days ago I sent the following message to the list:
>

>There seems to be only one program, Network Time, written by Pete
>Resnick, which can be ftp'ed from either sumex-aim.stanford.edu in
>directory mac-info/cp (NOT cdev, now gone) or from wuarchive.wustl.edu
>in directory mirrors/info-mac/cp (again, not cdev).

One further possibility if you have an Appletalk/IP gateway such as a
K-box or Webster multiport is the timelord/tardis combination available
in the multigate directory on munnari.oz.au . Timelord is a control
panel application which runs as a server on Macs or on a Unix host with
the CAP libraries installed, and tardis is a chooser application which
sets the time at boot or any other time you call it up. Works in a Mac
like fashion, with multiple servers available per visible zone. But I
don't think you can set it up to run periodically by itself, which
would be useful.

--
Brian Denehy,				ACSnet:	    bvd@cc.adfa.oz
Computing Services 			Internet:   bvd@adfa.oz.au