[comp.protocols.time.ntp] Problem with xntp 1.3 on Suns

net@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Oliver Laumann) (06/19/91)

I have installed xntp 1.3 in our network of Sun-3s and Sun-4s running
SunOS 4.1 and 4.1.1.  On some of the machines xntpd prints

   xntpd: Previous time adjustment didn't complete

about once or twice each day, i.e. the old time delta returned by adjtime()
is non-zero.  Is this normal, or should I worry about it?  Has anybody
else experienced this?

Thanks,
--
Oliver Laumann    net@tub.cs.tu-berlin.de  net@tub.UUCP  net@tub.BITNET

mstgil@sol.acs.unt.edu (Marc Ph. A. J. St.-Gil) (06/21/91)

net@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Oliver Laumann) writes:
>I have installed xntp 1.3 in our network of Sun-3s and Sun-4s running
>SunOS 4.1 and 4.1.1.  On some of the machines xntpd prints

>   xntpd: Previous time adjustment didn't complete

>about once or twice each day, i.e. the old time delta returned by adjtime()
>is non-zero.  Is this normal, or should I worry about it?  Has anybody
>else experienced this?

>Thanks,
>--
>Oliver Laumann    net@tub.cs.tu-berlin.de  net@tub.UUCP  net@tub.BITNET

We solved this by using "tickadj -s -A" before invoking xntp in our rc.local.
The important thing being that -s causes dosynctodr to be turned off in the
kernel.
--
Marc St.-Gil, UNIX Systems Administrator   mstgil@{sol,vaxa,vaxb}.acs.unt.edu
 University of North Texas  817/565-2324   mstgil@{ponder,solo}.csci.unt.edu

mrapple@quack.sac.ca.us (Nick Sayer) (06/21/91)

mstgil@sol.acs.unt.edu (Marc Ph. A. J. St.-Gil) writes:

>net@opal.cs.tu-berlin.de (Oliver Laumann) writes:

>>   xntpd: Previous time adjustment didn't complete

>We solved this by using "tickadj -s -A" before invoking xntp in our rc.local.
>The important thing being that -s causes dosynctodr to be turned off in the
>kernel.

That doesn't solve the problem completely. I made the equivalent
modification to the kernel, and I still get that message when the
system gets REALLY busy. This is a problem in SunOS. Just ignore
it.

--
Nick Sayer              |    Official Scapegoat for the    | "And now my