[net.ham-radio] ICOM R71A and RS232

ED@MIT-MC (Ed Schwalenberg) (03/06/85)

    From: "David J. Sullivan" <sullivan%acf4.uucp@BRL-TGR.ARPA>
    Date: 5 Mar 85 20:13:00 GMT

    And speaking of RS232 Interfaces, does anyone have the one for the ICOM
    R71-A receiver?  Or specs?  My Macintosh is waiting...
The ICOM computer interface comes in two halves: The EX-xxx is an external
parallel interface to the internal processor bus, and the CT-10 is (allegedly)
a combination RS-232 interface and terminal unit.

I called ICOM in Dallas to find out the status of the CT-10, and was told that
the CT-10 as sold in Japan only did 45 baud, and was therefore deemed
unacceptable for the US market.  The man I spoke to was trying to figure out
the Japanese manual for the CT-10, in hopes of designing his own RS-232
interface.

The more recent spec sheets from ICOM on the R71A do not mention the CT-10,
from which I deduce that they don't intend to either market the Japanese CT-10
or make a US version.

I have ordered the IR remote control, thinking that maybe I could figure out
how to build an RS-232 -> IR -> R71A interface, but haven't gotten the unit
yet.

There was a recent message to this list that implied that there are RS-232
interfaces to other ICOM equipment.  Could these be adapted to the R71A?

If anyone else finds out more about this mess, please pass it on..