[soc.culture.pakistan] Evolution and the Qur'an

aj3u@ncd19a.cs.virginia.edu (Asim Jalis) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.060109.2414@engin.umich.edu> jamal@caen.engin.umich.edu (Jamal Mubarak) writes:
-
- If there is enough interest on this issue I can make a detailed
- posting about it going over the major stages of evolution and giving
- quotations from the Qur'an (where else?) to substantiate my claim.
-

I suspect that your interpretations would be forced.  The whole
episode about God creating Adam and the incident with Iblees is too
explicit to allow for an interpretation of the Quran that would be
compatible with "Darwinism".

I would be very interested in looking at the verses you use to
substantiate your claim.

Asim Jalis.

agha@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Gul Agha) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr24.183841.23029@wpi.WPI.EDU> aj3u@ncd19a.cs.virginia.edu (Asim Jalis) writes:

>I suspect that your interpretations would be forced.  The whole
>episode about God creating Adam and the incident with Iblees is too
>explicit to allow for an interpretation of the Quran that would be
>compatible with "Darwinism".

>I would be very interested in looking at the verses you use to
>substantiate your claim.

Well, I don't have the verses on me, but the way I read these passages
is as an allegory.  The Book states that there are a number of verses
which are allegorical (without defining which ones) and none knows
there meaning save Allah.  Same goes for huris, jin, malaaik, etc.

Other passages, such as the legalistic ones, require historical
interpretation.  If you read the it in the right spirit, The
egalitarian values stated are enduring ones: slavery is no more
permissible in today's context than polygyny is.

After all, your intellect and your sense of compassion are the final
arbiters of what it all means.
--
Peace,

Gul Agha