[soc.culture.pakistan] Some thoughts on common questions regarding religion

azhar@cs.duke.edu (Salman Azhar) (05/29/91)

I received the follwing through personal mail. Since, most of these
questions are pertinent to the article, I shall share them with the
net-at-large.

>While I found your piece most interesting, there are a few questions
>about Islam that I want to ask.
>1. How does Islam deal with atheists/"unreligious" people like me?

        Islam tells muslims to treat with irreligious people like
other human beings. No human can condemn another to hell, or
otherwise. At the time this question is asked, a considerable amount
of your life is still to go, so there is no immediate need for you to
be classified.

>2. What does the Quran say about the role of women in society? In
>relation to men, and the role they play/can play ?(I have repeatedly
>asked this one, and got vague replies)

        According to Islam, women can do everything a man can, own
everything a man can, etc. Often, one hears about misinterpretation of
"men having a degree of superiority over women". A son does not have
superiority over mother, a brother not over sister, etc. In the
institution of marriage, the husband has some degree of authority over
wife, which is complemented with an equally greater responsibility for
the quality of the family's life. This is a topic in itself, and
should be discussed separately.

>3. Why does worship have to be based on fear?

        At the outset, one does not *have* to worship out of fear. As
humans we motivate ourselves from a variety of emotions; love, hate,
courage, fear, etc. Of these emotions, fear is the most effective and
efficient motivating factor. Which one of the following do you find
easier:

        To pay $100 to a charity
                        OR
        Pay the same $100 to a mugger (at a gunpoint).

Consequently, ity should come as no surprise to you that of all the
motivations to submit to God, we find fear the most dominant.

>4. Relating to the above question, a religion is born out of the
>social structure of its times, and though a single person might be
>largely responsible for the writings the circumstances he (Muhammad,
>Christ, Buddha etc...) lived in determine the structure that forms
>the basis of that religion. So how can one translate the writings of
>an individual born in a particular social class, at a a
>particular,fairly violent time (which in my mind is the reason for
>fear based worship)  into universal truths?

        Aha! The classic socio-evolution argument has often been
presented against most religions, but it dies a painful death when
confronted by Islam. The difference is that Islam was "defined" over
700 centuries (approx); starting from His messenger Adam! The 14
centuries after His messenger Muhammad's (PBUH) death are
insignificant compared to those 700 centuries, which saw violent and
peaceful times.

        Islam is not a static religion but a dynamic one. Even today,
there is an urgent need to ponder over new circumstances that arise
everyday.

>We need less religion and more free thinking and compassion. Less
>division and more harmony.

        We certainly need less exploitation of religion, and
accomodate fresh thoughts. Most religion are strong advocates of
compassion, so I do not understand the need for considering compassion
and religion as incompatible.

Salman [religious-scholar-wanna-be] Azhar

---
For, Believers are those who, when God is mentioned, feel a tremor in
their hearts. And, when they hear His signs rehearsed, find their
faith strengthened. And, put all their trust in their Lord.
	-Spoils of War (8:2)

adnan@flammulated.rice.edu (Sarmad Adnan) (06/03/91)

I read Salman [religious-scholar-wanna-be] Azhar's article (8409) and found
it to be a passionate attempt to present a dry-clean version of Islam to
Westerners. I can understand his desire to present the best possible picture
of Islam to the person concerned but that should be no excuse for distorting
the truth and presenting ones own sanitized interpretations of Islam.

The inquiry consisted of four questions.
1) How does Islam deal with atheists/"unreligious" people like me?
2) What does the Quran say about the role of women in society? In relation
to man.
3) Why does worship have to be based on fear?
4) A religion is born out of the social structure of its times and though
a single person might be largely responsible for writing, the circumstances
that he (Muhammad, Christ, Buddha etc...) lived in determine the structure
that forms the basis of that religion. so how can one translate the writings
of an individual born in a particular social class, at a particularly fairly
violent time, into universal truths ?

I found Salman's answers to the first two questions misleading, his answer
to the third question is applicable to all religions. While his elaborations
on the classic socio-evolution argument have no substance for the non-muslims.
They only work for those who already have accepted Islam to be the true faith.
My own points of view regarding the first two questions follow.

1) How does Islam deal with atheists/"unreligious" people like me?

Azhar> Islam tells muslims to treat with irreligious people like
Azhar> other human beings. No human can condemn another to hell.

Islam most certainly does not tell muslims to treat irreligious people
(nonbelievers) in the same manner as muslims. Its treatment of nonbelievers
is at best non-violent or benign. Islam clearly defines the conduct of
muslims with other muslims and that with non-believers. Repeatedly in the
Quran we have admonitions against dealing with and befriending nonbelievers,
I do believe that Salman Azhars reply bordered on misinformation. Here is
what the Quran tells us regarding our relations to nonbelievers.

	9:73	O Prophet!strive hard against the unbelievers and the
Hypocrites, and be firm against them. Their abode is hell, an evil refuge
indeed.
	4:101	When ye travel through the earth, there is no blame on you if
ye shorten your prayers, for fear the unbelievers may attack you: for the
unbelievers are unto you open enemies.
	4:144	O ye who believe! take not for friends unbelievers rather than
believers: do ye wish to offer God an open proof against yourselves?.
	9:113	It is not fitting, for the prophet and those who believe, that
they should pray for forgiveness for pagans, even though they be of kin,
	2:221	Do not marry unbelieving women (idolaters), until they believe

As for condemning humans to hell the Quran has a very clear-cut point of view.

	33:64	Verily God has cursed the nonbelievers and prepared for them
a Blazing Fire--
	5:83	Thou seest many of them turning in friendship to the
nonbelievers. Evil indeed are (the works) which their souls have sent forward
before them (with the result), that God's wrath is on them, and in torment
will they abide.

2) What does the Quran say about the role of women in society? In relation
to man.

Azhar> According to Islam, women can do everything a man can, own everything a
Azhar> man can, etc. Often, one hears about misinterpretation of "men have a
Azhar> degree of superiority over women". A son does not have superiority over
Azhar> mother, a brother not over sister, etc. In the institution of marriage,
Azhar> the husband has some degree of authority over wife.

Islam had greatly enhanced women's role in society with respect to the then
prevalent conditions in Arabia. But it is not just the institution of
marriage where Islam falls short of the currently socially acceptable status
of women. Islam limits the weight of a woman's testimony in court to one half
of that of a man.  Her rights of inheritance are also much more curtailed than
that of men. Salman Azhar's reply implies that it is only in marriage that
Islam allows men to have a degree of superiority over women. This is probably
the only aspect of Islam's "men's precedence over women" that is palatable by
the standards of the male dominated American culture. Curtailment of their
right to vote and right to rule were not even mentioned.

Women as Witness:
	2:282	O ye who believe! when ye deal with each other, in
transactions involving future obligations in a fixed period of time, reduce
them to writing ............ and get two witnesses, out of your own men, and
if there are not two men, then a man and two women, such as ye choose, for
witnesses, so that if one of them errs, the other can remind her. The
witnesses should not refuse when they are called on (for evidence).

Women share in Inheritance:
	4:11	God (thus) directs you as regards your children's
(inheritance): to the male, a portion equal to that of two females: if
only daughters, two or more, their share is two-thirds of the inheritance;
if only one, her share is a half.  For parents, a sixth share of the
inheritance to each, if the deceased left children; if no children, and
the parents are the (only) heirs, the mother has a third; if the deceased
left brothers (or sisters), the mother has a sixth.  (The distribution in
all cases is) after the payment of legacies and debts. .....

Women role in Marriage:
	2:228	Divorced women shall wait concerning themselves for three
monthly periods, nor is it lawful for them, to hide what God hath created
in their wombs, if they have faith in God and the Last Day.  And their
husbands have the better right to take them back in that period, if they
wish for reconciliation.  And women shall have rights similar to the
rights against them, according to what is equitable; but men have a
degree (of advantage) over them and God is Exalted in Power, Wise.
	4:34	Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because
God has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they
support them from their means.  Therefore the righteous women are
devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what God would
have them guard.  As to those women on whose part ye fear disloyalty
and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their
beds, (and last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience,
seek not against them means (of annoyance): for God is Most High,
Great (above you all).

--

                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Sarmad Adnan (adnan@rice.edu)

azhar@cs.duke.edu (Salman Azhar) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.142416.20487@wpi.WPI.EDU> adnan@flammulated.rice.edu (Sarmad Adnan) writes:
>I found Salman's answers to the first two questions misleading, his answer
>to the third question is applicable to all religions. While his elaborations
>on the classic socio-evolution argument have no substance for the non-muslims.

>1) How does Islam deal with atheists/"unreligious" people like me?

>Azhar> Islam tells muslims to treat with irreligious people like
>Azhar> other human beings. No human can condemn another to hell.

>As for condemning humans to hell the Quran has a very clear-cut point of view.

	   Perhaps, it was not clear from my original response that *I*
or *you* or *anyone* from any religions cannot condemn anyone else to
hell. It is a God's judgement period. The reason is simply God knows
everything in the future, past, and present. I agree that it is
preferable to have muslim friends (with the intention of enhancing your
belief) than non-mulsims friends. However, my original statement about
treating all humans like humans regardless of religion still holds ground.
Even though, you are not allowed to pray for forgiveness for your
non-muslims relatives, you are obligated to deal with them as you
would deal muslim friends. This includes financial and social help.

>2) What does the Quran say about the role of women in society? In relation
>to man.
>
>Azhar> According to Islam, women can do everything a man can, own everything a
>Azhar> man can, etc. ... In the institution of marriage,
>Azhar> the husband has some degree of authority over wife.
>
>Islam had greatly enhanced women's role in society with respect to the then
>prevalent conditions in Arabia. But it is not just the institution of
>marriage where Islam falls short of the currently socially acceptable status
>of women. Islam limits the weight of a woman's testimony in court to one half
>of that of a man.

	Some scholars believe that this injunction is only implied in
financial matters. However, this is disputed by the other (more
conservative) scholars. According to my sources the verse you quote
was revealed under circumstances of financial disputes. However, your
original contention (based on the motivation to seek exact equality)
holds ground.

-	2:282	O ye who believe! when ye deal with each other, in
-transactions involving future obligations in a fixed period of time, reduce
-them to writing ............ and get two witnesses, out of your own men, and
-if there are not two men, then a man and two women, such as ye choose, for
-witnesses, so that if one of them errs, the other can remind her. The
-witnesses should not refuse when they are called on (for evidence).
-Her rights of inheritance are also much more curtailed than
-that of men.

	   As far as inheritance is concerned, one has to recognize that
men have been given much responsibility (i.e accountability to God as
ooppsed to social responsibility) along with the benefit of a twice
the share.  My statement above assumes that one believes in the "day of
judgement", and recognizes that our actions would be determine how we
are rewarded/punished. Furthermore, this injunction only applies for
the propoerty not "willed" to hiers/others.

                           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-rights against them, according to what is equitable; but men have a
-degree (of advantage) over them and God is Exalted in Power, Wise.

	   The wait prescribed is to ascertain beyond shadow of doubt
the biological father of a child (in case of pregnancy). The
underlined part (above) is often ignored by most muslim men.

	   I try to refrain from quoting isolated verses of Quran in a
controversial debate. One has to study the situation under which they
revealed. I can show that alcohol is allowed in reasonable quantities
using isolated verses. Furthermore, I have a tendency to find exactly
those verses that support my view (using index etc.). So, please
understand my aproach (of assuming that the reader would carry out an
objective and thorough research).

	   Sarmad, could you also please elucidate why the socio-economic
"elaboration" does not work for non-mulsims. I do not understand how I
am charged "sanitizing" Islam for Westerners and presenting
"elaborations" which do not "work" for non-muslims. In reality, I am
only saying what my religious knowledge and understanding leads me to
believe. I have no politcal goals whatsoever. So, I request that we do
not read into each other's minds what is not there.

Salman [This is the Book; In it is the guidance sure, without doubt,
        to those who fear God; believe in the Unseen, are steadfast in
        prayer, spend out of what God has provided for them. And,those
        who believe in the revelation sent to thee, and sent before
        thy time, and do not doubt the Hereafter. Baqra:2-4 ]         Azhar