[comp.os.os2.misc] Controlling PM Desktop Manager

NEATH@cgi.com (07/24/90)

I've been using IBM  OS/2 EE version 1.2 for  a couple of months now  and
have several questions concerning things that annoy the heck out of me! I
previously used a Sun workstation running X and really took  advantage of
things like   the initialization  file (.xinitrc) to  define  the default
geometry, iconic status, and location of all windows at  startup time.  I
have found no such convenience under  OS/2 -- did I miss  something here?
A second irritation is the  way PM decides  to position an icon any place
it feels like it when I minimize a window. Why  can't it just put it back
where it found  it?  Finally, the file manager   is really great,  except
that there seems to be no simple way to just view an  ASCII file.  Now, I
know  I could define my  editor as the default  application  for each and
every ASCII file extension that I might ever want to view, but that seems
a little excessive.  Any  ideas on  how  to get  this functionality  in a
less-obtrusive manner?

Martin Neath <neath@itg.ti.com>

steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul24.131929.17894@csc.ti.com> NEATH@cgi.com writes:
>Finally, the file manager   is really great,  except
>that there seems to be no simple way to just view an  ASCII file.  Now, I
>know  I could define my  editor as the default  application  for each and
>every ASCII file extension that I might ever want to view, but that seems
>a little excessive.  Any  ideas on  how  to get  this functionality  in a
>less-obtrusive manner?

Actually, you have named the best way.  It is less obtrusive than you
think, at least in version 1.2 of OS/2.  (I am not an expert in OS/2, and
that is the only version I know -- sorry.)

Using File Manager, select the file E.EXE in the \OS2 directory.  Pull down
File Associate, and it will say "The following data is associated with
E.EXE:"  Enter a "*" (assuming you use HPFS, as I do; if you use FAT, I
think you want to put "*.*" instead).  You have just told File Manager that
E.EXE is associated with EVERY file!

Here's how it works: whenever you double-click a file, File Manager checks
for associations for that file.  If there are no specific associations for
that file, the "*" association for E.EXE will be the only one and File
Manager knows to run E.EXE to view that file.  If there are other
associations as well as the "*" association, all associations will be
presented in a list box.  Just point to the one you want.  Bonus: File
Manager is smart enough that the general "*" association is listed last.
So, for example, when I double-click a .EXE file, I get the list box to
choose between running the file, or running E.EXE on the file.  Running the
file is the default, so I just hit enter.  Nice.

I, too, want to see a file viewer added to File Manager.  But until that
day dawns, this workaround makes me pretty happy.
--
Steve "I don't speak for Microsoft" Hastings    ===^=== :::::
uunet!microsoft!steveha  steveha@microsoft.uucp    ` \\==|