[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 and 386sx machines

daf@public.BTR.COM (David A. Feustel daf@btr.com) (07/27/90)

I'm running OS/2 version 2.0 very nicely on a 386sx with an AMI bios and
8 megs (no 87sx though).

v112pdl5@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Mark J Cromwell) (07/27/90)

In article <6534.26ae1eb3@uwovax.uwo.ca>, baer@uwovax.uwo.ca writes...
>32-bit applications (unless they were specifically programmed around
>the limitations of the SX chip), including OS/2 2.0, would not run on
>an SX machine.  Is this claim garbage, as I suspect, or is there something
>to it?

     Utter garbage. It's a salesdweeb speaking. Can anyone expect ought but
garbage?

					- Mark Cromwell

alistair@microsoft.UUCP (Alistair BANKS) (07/28/90)

In article <6534.26ae1eb3@uwovax.uwo.ca> baer@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>limitations (16-bit path, etc.).   A salesperson trying to push a DX over
>an SX told me that the memory addressing limitations meant that many
>32-bit applications (unless they were specifically programmed around
>the limitations of the SX chip), including OS/2 2.0, would not run on
>an SX machine.  Is this claim garbage, as I suspect, or is there something
>to it?

Your salesman is very wrong - tell him about logical to physical address
mapping as a feature of virtual memory on 386sx,dx & 486 - and then
ask him to explain what this special programming is!

Win3 & os/2 2.0 both run just fine on 386sx, but both gain from
extra i/o bandwidth usually associated with a full 32-bit data bus.

Speak to a different salesman!

Alistair Banks
OS/2 Group
Microsoft