[comp.os.os2.misc] Trap 000D on booting OS/2 on 80486 clone please help !!

doherty@vax1.tcd.ie (07/29/90)

I am installing 3-com 3+open on a no-name clone 80486-24,VGA,colour,8MB,
,300mb disk (set up as multiple 32mb drives),mouse and 3C503 card.
The set up involves installing a server adapted version of OS/2 supplied by
3Com as the first step. This seems to work OK and it tells me to reboot the
system to bring it up under OS/2 prior to installing 3+Open.

However this boot is not sucessfull and the system stops after displaying
on screen the following:

Trap 000D
AX=201C    etc
SI=000C    etc
CS=04A8    etc
CSLIM=6420 etc
CSACC=9B   etc
ERRCD=0000 etc
Exception in device drive A:
The system detected an internal processing error @ location #01E0:0797
The system is stopped.

I have sucessfully installed this 3+Open entry level system in a 386/25
from the same vendor.
The 486 clone runs quite happily as a DOS workstation to the 386/25
as a server.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated !!!!

Michael Doherty, Assistant Director, Computer Lab, University of Dublin,
                 Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland.
                 tel 353-1-772941 x 1751 Fax 353-1-792587

t-tomdi@microsoft.UUCP (Thomas DIMITRI) (08/01/90)

In article <6652.26b2c01b@vax1.tcd.ie> doherty@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>I am installing 3-com 3+open on a no-name clone 80486-24,VGA,colour,8MB,
>,300mb disk (set up as multiple 32mb drives),mouse and 3C503 card.
>The set up involves installing a server adapted version of OS/2 supplied by
>3Com as the first step. This seems to work OK and it tells me to reboot the
>system to bring it up under OS/2 prior to installing 3+Open.

Chances are the problem is with the OS/2 Device Driver 3COM supplied to their
etherlink II card.  To wait for I/O programs typically attempt to flush the
pre-fetch queue by a jmp $+2 (jump to the next line).  The 486 is too smart.
If the jump is within the pre-fetch queue it will not flush the queue and thus
a jmp $+2 is much like a NOP.  The new 3COM Etherlink II device driver for
OS/2 does not have this problem.  Perhaps 3COM will send you an OS/2 device
driver update.  The new device driver is included in LanMan 2.0

Hope that helps!
P.S.  I'm just an intern.