[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 Question

kpt@savant.UUCP (Keith P. Tomlin) (07/27/90)

computer system.  The problem that I am having is that during the install
part of the setup, the system stops and the OS says that the software was
unable to mask certain interupts.  I am by no means educated in the
language of interupts, and I am wondering if I posted exactly what was
shown to me then if someone would know what was wrong.  I have a feeling
that the problem is my motherboard.  (The WD MB2, is one of those all
included motherboards, w/ built-in video, controller, etc.)

Any Ideas?  Thank you.

P.S. I have 4 megs of memory all located on the motherboard.

donh@microsoft.UUCP (Don HACHERL) (07/31/90)

In article <825@savant.UUCP> kpt@savant.UUCP (Keith P. Tomlin) writes:
>computer system.  The problem that I am having is that during the install
>part of the setup, the system stops and the OS says that the software was
>unable to mask certain interupts. [...]
>
>Any Ideas?  Thank you.

If the message you saw was "The system detected an interrupt that
cannot be masked" then that was OS/2's way of telling you that an NMI
(Non-Maskable Interrupt) had occurred.  99%+ of the time this means
that the hardware detected a memory parity error, and the solution for
that is to replace the memory.  If your machine came with diagnostics
you should run them and figure out which bank of memory is bad.

Don

--
Don Hacherl		"Sorry, no pithy quotes today"
donh%microsof@uunet.uu.net  or  {uunet|uw-beaver}!microsoft!donh

kpt@savant.UUCP (Keith P. Tomlin) (08/03/90)

Thanks for the reply.  That is infact the message that I recieved.
However, I find it hard to believe that the menory is bad.  My motherboard
contains room for 4 SIMM memory slots and I have a one meg SIMM in each,
totalling 4 Megs on the motherboard.  My system diagnostics finds nothing
wrong with the memory during bootup, and my DOS apps (Win 3.0) seem to have
no problems with it also.

Could it me an incompatibility with my motherboard?  I have a Western
Digital 286 MB2.  THe video (EGA) and controllers are all part of the
motherboard.  It uses a Pheonix BIOS.

Thanks again for your reply.  I appreciate any further help.

--
 |    Keith P. Tomlin     "I'd like to meet you                  |