[comp.os.os2.misc] Using an OS/2 System Remotely

REDELMAN@auvm.auvm.edu (Richard B. Edelman) (08/30/90)

I would like to access my office machine which runs OS/2 1.1 SE remotely
from my laptop to do file transfers and execute programs which are too
large to execute on the laptop.  The office machine is equipped with
a modem and Crosstalk XVI (which runs in the DOS window).

Is it possible to operate this kind of OS/2 setup remotely?  Is is possible
to open and close OS/2 windows and switch between those windows and the DOS
Box?  Is interfacing software required?

If anyone has any experience with this sort of thing, I would greatly
appreciate hearing about it.

Richard Edelman
The American University

REDELMAN@AUVM.BITNET
REDELMAN@AUVM.AUVM.EDU

lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) (08/31/90)

Along the same line as the original post:  can an OS/2 machine easily/
cleanly operate another OS/2 machine in a remote manner?

It seems that with the virtual interface and 'nicely' behaved programs, this
should be more probable than similar DOS-based systems.

Since I should have a Dell SX laptop here next week I'm very interested in
the ability to use a network remotely without huge file transfers at 2400bps.

Thanks!

--kyler

d9mikael@hackes.dtek.chalmers.se (Mikael Wahlgren) (09/02/90)

In article <90241.165047REDELMAN@auvm.auvm.edu> REDELMAN@auvm.auvm.edu (Richard B. Edelman) writes:
>I would like to access my office machine which runs OS/2 1.1 SE remotely
>from my laptop to do file transfers and execute programs which are too
>large to execute on the laptop.  The office machine is equipped with
>a modem and Crosstalk XVI (which runs in the DOS window).
>
>Is it possible to operate this kind of OS/2 setup remotely?  Is is possible
>to open and close OS/2 windows and switch between those windows and the DOS
>Box?  Is interfacing software required?
>
>If anyone has any experience with this sort of thing, I would greatly
>appreciate hearing about it.

I don't know of any standard way to do this in OS/2 (what I mean is that I am
pretty sure that it is not possible with OS/2 alone).

I have written a program called Os2You, that allows you to run ONE OS/2 full
screen session remotely via asynchronous line (by modem or cable).  For those
requiring login facilities and callback, I have written M2Zmodem, which will
do the job, in combination with Os2You.

The program is sort of a Shareware Program.  You may use it for trial, which
is limited to 5 minutes operation each time you start it.  If you register it
the limitation won't be there.  By the way, the program is for the protected
mode sessions, and not for the DOS coffin.

To get more general about the subject, I think it will be very hard to do a
remote redirection software, making it possible to switch between sessions,
and even run PM-programs.  This would be very slow, if you transfer all the
graphics information.  Another idea is to transfer just the system calls with
their parameters, but this would require a very advanced "terminal program",
to correctly translate the OS/2 system calls to appropriate output.

There is another (professional) package, allowing you to redirect ONE full
screen session, but I don't remember the name.  Anyhow it was a very expensive
package, while my solution is very cheap.

Mikael Wahlgren      d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se

yozzo@king-arthur.watson.ibm.com (09/04/90)

In article <90241.165047REDELMAN@auvm.auvm.edu> REDELMAN@auvm.auvm.edu (Richard B. Edelman) writes:
>I would like to access my office machine which runs OS/2 1.1 SE remotely
>from my laptop to do file transfers and execute programs which are too
>large to execute on the laptop.  The office machine is equipped with
>a modem and Crosstalk XVI (which runs in the DOS window).
>
>Is it possible to operate this kind of OS/2 setup remotely?  Is is possible
>to open and close OS/2 windows and switch between those windows and the DOS
>Box?  Is interfacing software required?
>
>If anyone has any experience with this sort of thing, I would greatly
>appreciate hearing about it.
>
>Richard Edelman
>The American University
>
>REDELMAN@AUVM.BITNET
>REDELMAN@AUVM.AUVM.EDU

If you remote site is running TCP/IP and SLIP (serial line IP)
then you may be interested in the IBM TCP/IP Product
Release 1.1 (Due to be shipped in Sept, 1990).

This includes support for SLIP and many TCP/IP applications.

 For example, a Telnet Server and telnet clients are supported.
This would allow remote logins from a SLIP-connected machine.

The idea behind SLIP is that one would like to set up a
point-to-point connection between a single machine and
a remote LAN over a asynchronous line.

This is what SLIP accomplishes.  This allows one to use the entire
suite of TCP/IP applications over a telephone line.

 A high speed modem is recommended.  Using a Microcom Modem (QX V32.c)
at 19200 bps, I get 350 ms ping times and 1.6 KB/sec file transfers.

| Ralph E. Yozzo                     | DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed    |
| IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Ctr. | herein are the Authors.               |
| Arpanet: yozzo@ibm.com             | And are not necessarily those of his  |
|                                    | employer or this station.             |
| Home: ..!uunet!bywater!acheron!larouch!yozzo  | Phone: (914) 945-3634 work |
|                                               | Phone: (914) 564-4731 home |