[comp.os.os2.misc] TCP/IP development software for OS/2

zwfl01@papa.trc.amoco.com (Steve Lee) (09/05/90)

I am looking for a TCP/IP development software for OS/2, and I would like
to know what TCP/IP products are available in the market.

Thanks in advance
steve

oleg@ibm.com (09/05/90)

> I am looking for a TCP/IP development software for OS/2, and I would like
> to know what TCP/IP products are available in the market.
>
> Thanks in advance
> steve

 1) FTP Software, Inc
    Sockets and, I think, Kerberos
    Send mail to info.ftp.com for mor info
 2) IBM OS/2 TCP/IP Version 1.1
    APIs: Sockets, RPC, NCS, Kerberos, FTP client API, SNMP DPI
 3) Essex Systems

schafer@devils.rice.edu (Richard A. Schafer) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep5.134204.9328@arnor.uucp>, oleg@ibm.com writes:

|> > I am looking for a TCP/IP development software for OS/2, and I would like
|> > to know what TCP/IP products are available in the market.
|> >
|> > Thanks in advance
|> > steve
|>
|>  1) FTP Software, Inc
|>     Sockets and, I think, Kerberos
|>     Send mail to info.ftp.com for mor info
|>  2) IBM OS/2 TCP/IP Version 1.1
|>     APIs: Sockets, RPC, NCS, Kerberos, FTP client API, SNMP DPI
|>  3) Essex Systems
You should be aware of one possible problem with at least the IBM TCP/IP
package:
If your machine is connected using the Novell OS/2 Requestor program to
a Novell
network on an Ethernet, then the IBM TCP/IP package simply won't work.
The problem
is that Novell grabs the Ethernet adapter and the IBM code apparently
also wants to
do the same thing.

I don't know about Token-Ring networks.
I don't know whether the FTP code will work, either.  In a DOS
environment, we
are using the FTP Software code with some drivers written by BYU, I
think, which
apparently sits between the FTP and Novell code and the adapter routing
packets
to the FTP or Novell code as appropriate.

(I'd really like to find something like this for the OS/2 environment,
and am
considering the FTP code to see if it will work better than the IBM code
in this
area.)

Richard

donp@niaid.nih.gov (Don Preuss) (09/10/90)

Does anyone know of a product, or a work in progress for an NFS client for
OS/2? (I assume it would be designed as an IFS). As a related question,
do any of the OS/2 books currently discuss writing an IFS?

donp

--
donp@niaid.nih.gov

oleg@ibm.com (09/18/90)

> Does anyone know of a product, or a work in progress for an NFS client for
> OS/2? (I assume it would be designed as an IFS). As a related question,
> do any of the OS/2 books currently discuss writing an IFS?
>
> donp
>
> --
> donp@niaid.nih.gov

IBM OS/2 for TCP/IP 1.1 has NFS client (not the server).
FTP Inc is also working on NFS and may have it already.

Oleg Vishnepolsky