[comp.os.os2.misc] PM-based Programming Editor?

stever@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Steve_Roth) (09/07/90)

I am desperate for a good, PM-based (not text-mode) programming editor for
OS/2 1.21.  Does anyone in net-land know of one?  Replies by e-mail, please.
Thanks in advance.

Steve Roth	steve%hpams0c@hplabs.hp.com	408-746-5639
Hewlett-Packard Co., 1266 Kifer Road #102I, Sunnyvale CA 94086
All opinions expressed here are my own and not necessarily shared by HP.

michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu (09/10/90)

In article <1318@slimer.UUCP>, mco@slimer.UUCP (Mark C. Otto) writes:
>>I am desperate for a good, PM-based (not text-mode) programming editor for
>>OS/2 1.21.  [... rest deleted ...]

If I remember correctly, Sage/Polytron has a OS/2 PM based editor called
Sage.  But of course, now that I need the info/advertisements, I can't
find anything.  According to the latest Byte magazine, there should be an
ad from Sage/Polytron on pages 48-49, but I can't find anything there.  In
any case, Programmer's Paradise sells it for $249 or $319 with mouse.  PP's
phone number is (800) 445-7899.

I hope this helps...

Michel Biedermann	michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu
U. of Oregon
Zenith Data Systems
Campus Representative

dbc0027@cec1.wustl.edu (Daniel Bryan Crank) (09/10/90)

In article <6860005@hp-ptp.HP.COM> stever@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Steve_Roth) writes:
>I am desperate for a good, PM-based (not text-mode) programming editor for
>OS/2 1.21.  Does anyone in net-land know of one?  Replies by e-mail, please.
>Thanks in advance.

Like Brief, Vq (from Golden Bow Systems) is winable -- that is, it'll run in
an OS/2 windowed prompt.  That's probably not what you're looking for, but it
may be a start.

| "Is that -- strictly speaking -- accurate, sir?"        |     YOYODYNE     |
| "Mansell, that is what we in the Royal Navy call a lie."|Propulsion Systems|
|                                          --Yellowbeard  |Grover's Mill, NJ |
| Email to dbc0027@cec1.wustl.edu (Top Secret Think Tank) |------------------|

d9mikael@hackes.dtek.chalmers.se (Mikael Wahlgren) (09/10/90)

In article <1990Sep9.153854.28626@Octopus.COM> stever@octopus.UUCP (Steve Resnick ) writes:

>The only editor I have seen for PM is the System Editor that is bundled with
>OS/2 1.2 SE. While it's "cute" and good for hacking batch files or munging
>your CONFIG.SYS file, etc. It's a rather poor editor for programming.
>(no macros, no brac and bracket matching, etc.)

There is IBM Live Parsing Editor (LPEX) too.  A rather nice editor, but I
think the performance is too bad (with slow up/down scrolling).  But it
has most functions you would require from an editor.

Mikael Wahlgren    d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se

cfreas@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Terry Freas) (09/10/90)

	RimSTAR Technology makes the RimSTAR PM Editor.  It's a true PM
editor, not a 'Can run in a window' Vio-based application.  From their
ad in Computer Language, they've got all the major features.  Their
number is 1-800-542-6741.

---
 - Jeremy Wohl
 - wohl@max.sunysb.edu
 - cfreas@csserv1.icunix.sunysb.edu

krohmer@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Gary Krohmer) (09/10/90)

I have been using "vi" from MKS. True, it is text based, but it does
run in a PM window and it is supported by MKS. When it runs in a window,
the window has a horizontal scroll bar thus enabling the full 80 column
text buffer to fit in a fewer that 80 column window.

Gary Krohmer
Hewlett Packard
974 E. Arques
Sunnyvale, CA.

hplabs!hpsvx01!gary

twg0214@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/10/90)

There is a port of EMACS for PM and with the mouse support. It is available
from anonymous FTP at mtsg.ubc.ca.
Ignacy Misztal
ignacy@uiuc.edu

space@ncc1701.stgt.sub.org (Lars Soltau) (09/12/90)

In article <1990Sep10.074956.20417@mathrt0.math.chalmers.se> d9mikael@hackes.dtek.chalmers.se (Mikael Wahlgren) writes:
>There is IBM Live Parsing Editor (LPEX) too.  A rather nice editor, but I
>think the performance is too bad (with slow up/down scrolling).  But it
>has most functions you would require from an editor.
>
>Mikael Wahlgren    d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se

Of course the performance is bad. PM is such a slow b*tch that the ASCII
terminal emulation that comes with EE 1.2 Comm Mgr cannot handle speeds
greater than a measly 2400 baud. That's on a Model 70, if you wondered.

I am absolutely unable to understand why anyone would want an editor that
runs under PM. I have the Fullscreen E, which runs in a text window, and the
PM E Version, and both are so damn slow that working with them is hell.

What is more, IMHO any graphical interface on hardware with less than one
Megapixel is impracticable, because people end up using windows at their
biggest size all the time, so you can't exploit the full benefits of the GUI
but instead only use it as a somewhat prettier Fullscreen interface.

--
Lars Soltau     bang: <insert ridiculously long path>   Bix: -- no bucks --
                smart: space@ncc1701.stgt.sub.org

    Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen, where dreams come true:  Heaven is Eleven!

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) (09/13/90)

From article <1990Sep9.153854.28626@Octopus.COM>,
             by stever@Octopus.COM (Steve Resnick ):

> The only editor I have seen for PM is the System Editor that is bundled with
> OS/2 1.2 SE. While it's "cute" and good for hacking batch files or munging
> your CONFIG.SYS file, etc. It's a rather poor editor for programming.
> (no macros, no brac and bracket matching, etc.)

There is a shareware programmer's editor available called DESCRIBE.
It provides some basic editing features, but as the author admits it
needs more work to be a real programmer's editor.

It has ok search and replace capabilities (ignore case, search forward
or backward, replace only if the found text is a word, not part of a
word, and some pattern matching.

It also has cut and paste, windowing (vertical and horizontal), and
the ability to change the font used (such as real large letters for
visually impared people, or small text so you can see more of your
code on the screen).

It also supports printing, including configuring the printer, and selecting
which portion of the document should be printed.

There is one programmer specific feature.  You can choose "compile" from
the menu and the contents of the current menu is compiled using a command
you set in the configuration.  The output from this can be displayed in
another window.

It seems to work ok.

You can get it from the author at the following BBS number which is in
the "About" box:

     Lennane Advanced Products
     4047 N. Freeway Blvd.
     Sacremento, Ca. 95834
     (916) 646-1111
     BBS: (916) 929-3237, up to 2400 baud.

It is also available on my BBS, the University of Saskatchewan Fidonet
BBS, at (306) 966-4857, as the file DESCRIBE.ZIP in the OS/2
WordProcessing area.  Also available are the full-screen applications
MicroEmacs 3.10, and SEDT 4.1 (the Shareware version) in the Family
Applications WordProcessing area. (technically they are not family
apps, but both OS/2 and DOS executables are included so I put them in
there).

DISCLAIMER:
  This is NOT an endorsement by myself or the University of Saskatchewan.
  The above information came from about 5 minutes of playing with the
  program and are just my impressions of its capabilities from those
  5 minutes.

david@metapyr.UUCP (David Relson) (09/13/90)

Epsilon from Lugaru Software Ltd (412-421-5911) also runs within a PM window.
It is an Emacs style editor (highly reconfigurable, commands written in a
C like language).  I've been using it since 1986 under DOS, XENIX, 386/ix, and
now OS/2 and have been very satisfied.

TURGUT@TREARN.BITNET (Turgut Kalfaoglu) (09/20/90)

I hear that OS/2 version of Qedit is available. Does anyone know anything
about it?  It's DOS version is very fast and pleasant to use.  -turgut