[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 1.0 upgrades?

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (09/27/90)

I just picked up a used copy of OS/2 1.0 at a computer store for $50
<figured I couldn't go wrong!>
I'm wondering how much upgrades are.  I know there used to be a free
upgrade from 1.0 to 1.1 but since there is 1.2 out now, this offer is
probably gone.  How much would an upgrade be to 1.2?  Would it be best
to wait for version 2.0 before I upgrade?
This version is marketed by Dell.

I'm interested in running a multi user BBS with OS/2, does anyone know of
any packages?

And one more thing...Where is a good FTP site to get OS/2 software?
Will any of it work with 1.0?  I guess I will need a terminal program
for OS/2 as well, unless OS/2 will read from a DOS partition or from
DOS formatted floppies???

Thanks,
Charles

tholen@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (David Tholen) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep26.235510.24253@ccu.umanitoba.ca>, umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) writes:

> And one more thing...Where is a good FTP site to get OS/2 software?
> Will any of it work with 1.0?  I guess I will need a terminal program
> for OS/2 as well, unless OS/2 will read from a DOS partition or from
> DOS formatted floppies???

Yes, OS/2 can read DOS formatted floppies.  The OS/2 floppy disk file system
is identical to DOS's; both use FAT.  Up through version 1.1, the hard disks
also used FAT, but starting with version 1.2, the new High Performance File
System became available (while still allowing FAT partitions to coexist, if
desired).

ijohnson@diana.cair.du.edu (Olga from the Volga) (09/27/90)

#
## And one more thing...Where is a good FTP site to get OS/2 software?
## Will any of it work with 1.0?  I guess I will need a terminal program
## for OS/2 as well, unless OS/2 will read from a DOS partition or from
## DOS formatted floppies???
#
#Yes, OS/2 can read DOS formatted floppies.  The OS/2 floppy disk file system
#is identical to DOS's; both use FAT.  Up through version 1.1, the hard disks
#also used FAT, but starting with version 1.2, the new High Performance File
#System became available (while still allowing FAT partitions to coexist, if
#desired).

 I found this to be true for PS/2 s.  However, I have just started working
 with some 386 clones and have run into problems when I've tried to
 read DOS formatted disks under OS/2.  I am using FAT under both and I
 have OS/2 version 1.1

 Ilene Johnson