[comp.os.os2.misc] Undocumented video modes with MODE CO80,x

boegehol@delos.stgt.sub.org (Harald Boegeholz) (10/01/90)

I accidentally discovered an undocumented feature of the MODE command
that I think may be interesting to some people on the net.

With MODE CO80,x it is possible to switch to a video mode with x lines
and 80 columns. The OS/2 Online-Manual says that legal values for x
can be 25,43, and 50, depending on the installed video adapter.

On an IBM PS/2 Model 60 running IBM OS/2 EE 1.2, I discovered that
in a full screen session a lot of other values are also accepted
and special video modes are set accordingly. I tried all numbers between
1 and 70 and came up with the following list of numbers that worked:

12, 14, 21, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 33, 34, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 45, 46,
47, 48, 49, 50, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60.

In the DOS-Box, I discovered that the following numbers worked:

12, 14, 21, 25, 28, 43, 50.

Strange, isn't it? Maybe someone can explain why exactly these numbers
work...

Btw, in a VIO-window, any value between 1 and 102 is accepted.

Maybe someone with an EGA adapter should give it a try too and let us know
the results?

I hope this was news to you after all...

Harald Boegeholz (boegehol@delos.stgt.sub.org)

Conrad.Bullock@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Conrad Bullock) (10/02/90)

In article <2657@delos.stgt.sub.org> boegehol@delos.stgt.sub.org (Harald Boegeholz) writes:
>I accidentally discovered an undocumented feature of the MODE command
>that I think may be interesting to some people on the net.

>12, 14, 21, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29, 30, 33, 34, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 45, 46,
>47, 48, 49, 50, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60.

I discovered the same thing a few weeks back. Not only that, but a lot
of those will also let you have 40 columns - Try MODE CO40,12 - really
wacky!

I'm pretty sure that in the version that I'm using, the DOS Box lets
you have most (but not all) of those values - I think the missing ones
are basically 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59

>Strange, isn't it? Maybe someone can explain why exactly these numbers
>work...

On a VGA adapter, the text mode can be set to 200, 350, 400, or 480
scan lines, and the font used can be 8, 14, or 16 scan lines per
character. So 12 lines per screen is 200 scanlines, 16 line font, and
so on.

My favourite mode is 34 lines - that is the maximum number of lines
possible before it switches down to an 8 scanline font - the 14 line
font is very readable.

Incidentally, OS/2 Brief will set the number of lines to any of the
above numbers, by putting -L??, where ?? is the number of lines, on
the command line, or in the environment variable.

Another 'undocumented' feature of OS/2 V1.2 that I only recently
discovered, is that it has proper unix wildcarding - for example, you
can dir *NW*, or dir *fg*ty.txt, etc.

--
Conrad Bullock                     | Domain:   conrad@comp.vuw.ac.nz
Victoria University of Wellington, |     or:   conrad@actrix.co.nz