[comp.os.os2.misc] Windows 3 and OS/2 problem

jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) (10/11/90)

I don't know whether this is a Windows bug or an OS/2 bug. Me thinks it's
a Windows Bug. I have OS/2 v1.2 and Windows 3 residing on my system. I use
the dual boot feature to boot into either Dos or OS/2. My config.sys for
dos uses "shell=c:\dos\command.com" and my autoexec.bat uses
"set COMSPEC=c:\dos\command.com". Windows 3 runs fine except that when
you try to invoke a DOS window, it always uses the copy in the root directory.
Even if I specify to run \dos\command.com. The solution (kludgy) was to copy
command.com from \dos to the root directory in my autoexec.bat. The dual boot
feature of OS/2 copies (among other things) it's own version of command.com
to the root directory so it runs OK.

The rest of system runs fine in standard DOS mode with a different version
of command.com (OS/2's) in the root directory because of my comspec and
shell command. Why doesn't MS Windows listen ?

Of course, why doesn't the "boot /dos" command from OS/2 copy command.com from
the \dos directory. I think it's two bugs !

-Jaz

| Jack A Zucker	                 {cwjcc,pyramid,decvax,uunet}!jaz@icd.ab.com |
| Allen-Bradley Company, Inc.     or                       ICCGCC::ZUCKER    |
| 747 Alpha Drive
| Highland Hts., OH 44143         phone: (216) 646-4668   FAX: (216)
646-4484 |

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (10/12/90)

In article <1913@abvax.UUCP> jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) writes:
>I don't know whether this is a Windows bug or an OS/2 bug. Me thinks it's
>a Windows Bug. I have OS/2 v1.2 and Windows 3 residing on my system. I use
>the dual boot feature to boot into either Dos or OS/2. My config.sys for
>dos uses "shell=c:\dos\command.com" and my autoexec.bat uses
>"set COMSPEC=c:\dos\command.com". Windows 3 runs fine except that when
>you try to invoke a DOS window, it always uses the copy in the root directory.
>Even if I specify to run \dos\command.com. The solution (kludgy) was to copy
>command.com from \dos to the root directory in my autoexec.bat. The dual boot
>feature of OS/2 copies (among other things) it's own version of command.com
>to the root directory so it runs OK.
>
>The rest of system runs fine in standard DOS mode with a different version
>of command.com (OS/2's) in the root directory because of my comspec and
>shell command. Why doesn't MS Windows listen ?

You don't need to have the command.com for either dos or OS/2's compatibility
box in the root directory.  (Specify the path to the OS/2 version in
the config.sys and autoexec.bat for OS/2 and the compatibility box,
respectively.)  The other thing to try is taking the root directory out of
your path, or put it after the entry where command.com lives.

--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com