[comp.os.os2.misc] Rodime IDE

osbornk@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Kasey S. Osborn) (10/25/90)

I'm thinking about putting the following in my Wyse AT:

  Rodime IDE 80 Meg (19 ms, 1/2 height, 1:1 interleave)

Apparently IDE is a new formatting scheme like MFM or RLL.  Does
anyone have one of these beasts going with OS/2?  Any problems?
I'm probably being paranoid, but I've never heard of IDE formatting
and my dealer doesn't know much about it.

Any information about IDE would be appreciated.

Kasey

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (10/29/90)

In article <21278@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, osbornk@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Kasey S. Osborn) writes:
> I'm thinking about putting the following in my Wyse AT:
>
>   Rodime IDE 80 Meg (19 ms, 1/2 height, 1:1 interleave)
>
> Apparently IDE is a new formatting scheme like MFM or RLL.  Does
> anyone have one of these beasts going with OS/2?  Any problems?
> I'm probably being paranoid, but I've never heard of IDE formatting
> and my dealer doesn't know much about it.
>
> Any information about IDE would be appreciated.

	IDE is a disk standard that Conner Peripherals (? in conjunction
with Compaq?) came up with.  It's the standard drive you'll find in a
Compaq computer.  I'm not very knowledgeable on hardware, but my understanding
is that it's a higher-level interface than ST-506; more of the drive
electronics reside on the drive, rather than the controller card.  I also
believe that an IDE drive typically has a small disk cache on the drive
itself.  I am using a Conner 100 Mbyte IDE drive in my Dataworld clone
at home and am running IBM OS/2 1.2 SE without any problems.  Unless Rodime
haven't adhered to the standard, I think you'll be perfectly fine.

			Adrian

Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX
Waksman Insitute,                      |  Phone:     (908) 932-4864
Rutgers University,                    |  Fax:       (908) 932-5735
Piscataway, NJ 08855 USA               |