[comp.os.os2.misc] keyboard problems, IDE drives, VGA BIOS

GD.SAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Sandy Rockowitz) (10/25/90)

A couple OS/2 hardware related questions have recently been posted
to the newsgroups.  Since they have been addressed in the past, I
hesitated to respond to the entire group, but I'm posting my
response to the group on the assumption that if there's one person
with a question, there are probably others.  (If anyone feels this
is a waste of the net's bandwidth, let me know.)

First, there was a question regarding a keyboard problem with OS/2
and an AMI motherboard with (naturally) an AMI BIOS.  I'm not sure
of the details, but AMI had to upgrade its keyboard controller for
OS/2 (1.2?).  Your keyboard controller needs to be at least at level
KD if I recall correctly.   I'm using an AMI MKIII with keyboard
controller level KF, and previously used a MKII with keyboard
controller level KD.  The only problem I've seen is that the central
keys (cursor, PgUp, PgDn, etc) don't work with when using Codeview
on the second monitor, and that's such an obscure case that I
suspect Codeview more than I suspect the BIOS.

The second question concerned IDE drives.  There was recently an
excellent overview of these drives on one of the OS/2 discussion
lists; I'll not try to redo it.  Basically, the controller is
integrated with the drive, which is interfaced to the system through
a simple adaptor card or in some case plugs directly into the
motherboard.  The IDE drive appears to the system as a vanilla ST506
device.  I've been using a Conner CP3204F (200 mb) IDE drive and AMI
MKII and MKIII motherboards with IBM OS/2 1.2 for several months
now, and have had no problems.

Finally, a question for the newsgroup. Does OS/2 use the ROM BIOS
on VGA cards, or does it always write to the hardware?

Sanford Rockowitz
GD.SAR@FORSYTHE.STANFORD.EDU

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (10/27/90)

In article <1990Oct25.042016.24320@morrow.stanford.edu> GD.SAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Sandy Rockowitz) writes:
>First, there was a question regarding a keyboard problem with OS/2
>and an AMI motherboard with (naturally) an AMI BIOS.  I'm not sure
>of the details, but AMI had to upgrade its keyboard controller for
>OS/2 (1.2?).  Your keyboard controller needs to be at least at level
>KD if I recall correctly.   I'm using an AMI MKIII with keyboard
>controller level KF, and previously used a MKII with keyboard
>controller level KD.  The only problem I've seen is that the central
>keys (cursor, PgUp, PgDn, etc) don't work with when using Codeview
>on the second monitor, and that's such an obscure case that I
>suspect Codeview more than I suspect the BIOS.

No, my experience was that it is ONLY OS/2's fault if some keyboards
don't work. XR4053 of OS/2 1.2 from IBM now works even with old K8
keyboard controllers on AMI boards (like mine). My keyboard now ALWAYS
and under all circumstances (and with all keys) works - the same
keyboard and keyboard controller that did not even boot the install disk
of a previos revision level of IBM OS/2 1.2.

>Finally, a question for the newsgroup. Does OS/2 use the ROM BIOS
>on VGA cards, or does it always write to the hardware?

OS/2 always writes to the hardware (well, it uses screen0?.sys to access
it or basedd0?.sys with 1.2). And the PM driver probably also does so as
the VGA BIOS is real mode code and accesses the BIOS memory area at
40:00 which, of course, is N/A under OS/2 protected mode.

Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel
 * Munich

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (10/29/90)

In article <1990Oct25.042016.24320@morrow.stanford.edu>, GD.SAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Sandy Rockowitz) writes:
> A couple OS/2 hardware related questions have recently been posted
> to the newsgroups.  ...
>
> First, there was a question regarding a keyboard problem with OS/2
> and an AMI motherboard with (naturally) an AMI BIOS.  I'm not sure
> of the details, but AMI had to upgrade its keyboard controller for
> OS/2 (1.2?).  Your keyboard controller needs to be at least at level
> KD if I recall correctly.   I'm using an AMI MKIII with keyboard
> controller level KF, and previously used a MKII with keyboard
> controller level KD.  The only problem I've seen is that the central
> keys (cursor, PgUp, PgDn, etc) don't work with when using Codeview
> on the second monitor, and that's such an obscure case that I
> suspect Codeview more than I suspect the BIOS.

My understanding is that this is not quite correct.  I originally had
these kind of problems with the ?K8 keyboard controller.  It affected
non OS/2 PM apps (eg WordPerfect, CodeView) in early versions (eg 11/89)
of IBM's OS/2 1.2 SE.  I believe that one of the maintainance releases
of OS/2 1.2 fixed this problem; I think I saw this somewhere on a BBS.
But before that, I had upgraded my keyboard controller to KD, so I don't
know this from first-hand experience.

			Adrian Goldman

Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX
Waksman Insitute,                      |  Phone:     (908) 932-4864
Rutgers University,                    |  Fax:       (908) 932-5735
Piscataway, NJ 08855 USA               |