[comp.os.os2.misc] Connecting OS2 to a) NFS and b) CDROMs

jar@io.UUCP (Jim Roskind x5570) (11/01/90)

Is there any way to tie a PC running OS2 into a (predominantly Sun)
NFS network? I have heard of a product by FTP software, but this does
little more than facilitate file transfers.  What I am after is
effectively "mounting" a Sun drive on the PC.  This sort of
functionality is available under DOS (but seemingly not the
compatibility box) as part of PC-NFS (from SUN).

and, ... question  2....

Is there any way to hook up a CDROM to an OS/2 system?  Note that the
Microsoft CDROM extensions are DOS only, and most CDROM vendors don't
even mention OS2.  It seems to me that now that some PS/2s (re: IBM
PS2-80 A31) are using a SCSI to access their hard disks, that it
shouldn't be all that hard to get a SCSI CDROM connected into an OS2
system.... but so much for logic.

--
Jim Roskind-   Author of a YACCable C++ grammar
Independent Consultant

ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (11/01/90)

In article <2254@io.UUCP> jar@io.UUCP (Jim Roskind x5570) writes:

>Is there any way to tie a PC running OS2 into a (predominantly Sun)
>NFS network?

It must be almost time to create a "Frequently Asked Questions" periodic
mailing for this list!

The IBM TCP/IP product release 1.1, which was supposed to be out about a month
ago, contains NFS client support. I haven't seen this, and don't know anything
about it beyond what is in the IBM announcement letter.

The major disadvantage of this is that it requires OS/2 extended edition.
I haven't heard of any alternative that contains NFS support.

>and, ... question  2....
>
>Is there any way to hook up a CDROM to an OS/2 system?

IBM has a CD-ROM drive that it claims is supported by OS/2.  I don't know
whether a special driver is required.

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116

nick@damrod.McRCIM.McGill.EDU (Nicola Fumai) (11/01/90)

In article <2254@io.UUCP> jar@io.UUCP (Jim Roskind x5570) writes:

>and, ... question  2....
>
>Is there any way to hook up a CDROM to an OS/2 system?  Note that the
>Microsoft CDROM extensions are DOS only, and most CDROM vendors don't
>even mention OS2.  It seems to me that now that some PS/2s (re: IBM
>PS2-80 A31) are using a SCSI to access their hard disks, that it
>shouldn't be all that hard to get a SCSI CDROM connected into an OS2
>system.... but so much for logic.

Well we have a CD-ROM hooked up to a PS/2 model 80 running OS/2 1.2 EE.
Actually, the CD-ROM is sitting on a SCSI bus, with the SCSI bus controller
sitting on the Mico-Channel bus inside the PS/2.
OS/2 mounts the CD-ROM using a CDFS (CDROM File System) driver.
It's actually pretty cool...now if we could only figure out if there are any
worthwhile CD-ROM disks out there. (Any suggestions?)

The SCSI bus controller and CD-ROM external drive are both from
Micro-Design International. Their SCSI products are supplied with a
multitude of drivers for various systems (SCO XENIX/UNIX, Novell, Mac,
AIX, DOS). Their product support personnel is ok too.

Micro Design International
6985 University Blvd.
Winter Park, FL 32792
(407) 677-8333
FAX: (407) 677-8365

BTW, I'm not affiliated with these guys in any way. Just a satisfied customer.

nick

- Nicola Fumai  (nick@mcrcim.mcgill.edu)
  McGill Research Center for Intelligent Machines (MCRCIM)
  McGill University, Montreal, Canada