[comp.os.os2.misc] Boot Problems

so-ecs@stekt1.oulu.fi (Juha Ruotsalainen ti) (11/06/90)

I reinstalled OS/2 1.2SE and formatted primary partition to HPFS. The
secondary was formatted a long time ago under DOS, so I thought that
when I boot DOS from floppy(3.5") it would understand when I try to
change to D:, but all I get is : "Invalid drive specification".
What is going on ? Do I have to reformat D:(secondary partition), and
if so, how. I mean, DOS doesnt understand D:.
Please HELP!!!

ps. I have 40MB MiniScribe(or something like that) with ATID-bus(??).

-ECS-

bking@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Barry King) (11/14/90)

so-ecs@stekt1.oulu.fi (Juha Ruotsalainen ti) writes:

> I reinstalled OS/2 1.2SE and formatted primary partition to HPFS. The
> secondary was formatted a long time ago under DOS, so I thought that
> when I boot DOS from floppy(3.5") it would understand when I try to
> change to D:, but all I get is : "Invalid drive specification".
> What is going on ? Do I have to reformat D:(secondary partition), and
> if so, how. I mean, DOS doesnt understand D:.
> Please HELP!!!
>
> ps. I have 40MB MiniScribe(or something like that) with ATID-bus(??).
>
> -ECS-

DOS only recognizes the partitions on your hard drives up to the first
non-DOS partition.  With your first partition being HPFS, DOS doesn't
look any further and therefore never sees your secondary DOS partition.
The answer is to format your first partition as a standard DOS (FAT)
partition and place all non-DOS (HPFS) partitions after that one.

If youwant to boot OS/2 from your hard drive you will have to put the
required boot files on the boot partition and go from there.  There is a
detailed article on Compuserve as to how to achieve this with as well as
set up the dual boot option properly.  I'm sorry but I do not have the
article to send you...actually, the following may help...

     *** NOTES ON INSTALLING DUAL BOOT and HPFS on IBM OS/2 1.2 ***

I wanted to install the HPFS file system while retaining the dual

boot option. However, the installation does *NOT* allow you to do

both. So here are my instructions and set-up for doing this:

(1)  Make sure that your hard disk is bootable with DOS 3.30 or above.

(2)  Create a DOS boot floppy containg only essential DOS programs,

     and place backup copies of your DOS CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT

     on it.

(3)  Make backup copies of all your files, on all your partitions, of

     your hard drive(s).

(4)  Install OS/2 1.2 with the dual boot option. DO NOT SELECT THE

     HPFS FILE SYSTEM AT THIS POINT!

(5)  Copy onto your bootable DOS floppy disk the OS/2 CONFIG.SYS and

     AUTOEXEC.BAT, using the extension .OS2 (so you don't overwrite

     your DOS versions). This will allow you to recover the

     configuration of OS/2 in case problems occur while moving files

     around.

(6)  I recommend the largest HPFS disk possible. You should make it

     your last drive since DOS will ignore the HPFS drive when it is

     running. This way all your DOS files are on the same drives no

     matter what operating system you boot up with.

(7)  Use your favorite editor in the DOS box to modify OS/2's

     CONFIG.SYS. Add the following line:

           IFS=C:\OS2\HPFS.IFS -C:64 /AUTOCHECK:<drive>

     at the top of the file. where <drive> is your HPFS drive or

     drives.

     And, at the bottom of the CONFIG.SYS, add the line:

           RUN=<drive><path>CACHE.EXE /LAZY: ON | OFF

(8)  Use OS/2's FDISKPM (in the Utilities group) to repartition your

     hard disk, and if necessary to create a large HPFS partition.

     When you finish running FDISKPM, you will need to reboot OS/2.

     WARNING: You will lose data on any partition that you modify in

     FDISKPM, make sure that you have backups of all important data.

(9)  If everything goes well, upon rebooting OS/2 you should see a

     message stating that HPFS driver is loaded.

(10) Go to an OS/2 session, and type the following command to format

     a hard disk to an HPFS partition:

                        FORMAT <drive>/FS:HPFS

     The system will tell you that the file system on the disk is

     FAT. Don't worry, this is just an informational message, the

     format command will change it. To change the drive back to FAT,

     type "FORMAT <drive>/FS:FAT".

(11) Now comes the fun part. You can move most of the OS/2 programs

     to your HPFS partition, BUT NOT ALL. You may have to "cheat" to

     move some files since they will be used by other processes. Boot

     with the installation disk, and ESCape out of the install

     program. Since the install disk loads HPFS, you can now transfer

     files from one disk to another.

     NOTE: YOU MUST KEEP A COPY OF BOOT.COM IN YOUR DOS FAT DRIVE C:

           TO IMPLEMENT THE DUAL BOOT OPTION. Below is a list of the

           files left on my C: DOS FAT

>>> SWEEP >>> C:\OS2

 Volume in drive C is EMR DISK 1

 Volume Serial Number is 025A:2430

 Directory of  C:\OS2

.            <DIR>     10-27-89   1:59a

..           <DIR>     10-27-89   1:59a

DLL          <DIR>     10-27-89   1:59a

HELP         <DIR>     10-27-89   1:59a

INSTALL      <DIR>     10-27-89   1:59a

SYSTEM       <DIR>     10-27-89   1:59a

AUTOEXEC OS2      546  10-27-89   6:09a --Backup copies of OS/2

CONFIG   OS2     1041  10-28-89  12:57a --AUTOEXEC.BAT & CONFIG.SYS

        8 File(s)  15300608 bytes free

>>> SWEEP >>> C:\OS2\DLL

 Volume in drive C is EMR DISK 1

 Volume Serial Number is 025A:2430

 Directory of  C:\OS2\DLL

.            <DIR>     10-27-89   1:59a

..           <DIR>     10-27-89   1:59a

ANSICALL DLL     4133   8-31-89  12:00p

BKSCALLS DLL     7175   8-31-89  12:00p

BVHVGA   DLL    36458   8-31-89  12:00p

BVSCALLS DLL    20563   8-31-89  12:00p

DOSCALL1 DLL    14651   8-31-89  12:00p

KBDCALLS DLL     8265   8-31-89  12:00p

MOUCALLS DLL     5692   8-31-89  12:00p

MSG      DLL     6218   8-31-89  12:00p

NLS      DLL     5428   8-31-89  12:00p

QUECALLS DLL    10282   8-31-89  12:00p

SESMGR   DLL    30017   8-31-89  12:00p

VIOCALLS DLL    17430   8-31-89  12:00p

       14 File(s)  15300608 bytes free

>>> SWEEP >>> C:\OS2\HELP

 Volume in drive C is EMR DISK 1

 Volume Serial Number is 025A:2430

 Directory of  C:\OS2\HELP

.            <DIR>     10-27-89   1:59a

..           <DIR>     10-27-89   1:59a

FDISKPMH HLP    10507   8-31-89  12:00p -- PM applications will

PMCPLH   HLP    30697   8-31-89  12:00p -- *ONLY* look on C:

PMEXECH  HLP    28338   8-31-89  12:00p -- regardless of HELP

PMFILEH  HLP    66467   8-31-89  12:00p -- environment

PMSHELLH HLP     1210   8-31-89  12:00p

PMSPOOLH HLP    31060   8-31-89  12:00p

        8 File(s)  15298560 bytes free

>>> SWEEP >>> C:\OS2\INSTALL

 Volume in drive C is EMR DISK 1

 Volume Serial Number is 025A:2430

 Directory of  C:\OS2\INSTALL

.            <DIR>     10-27-89   1:59a

..           <DIR>     10-27-89   1:59a

SYSLEVEL OS2      169   8-31-89  12:00p

        3 File(s)  15298560 bytes free

>>> SWEEP >>> C:\OS2\SYSTEM

 Volume in drive C is EMR DISK 1

 Volume Serial Number is 025A:2430

 Directory of  C:\OS2\SYSTEM

.            <DIR>     10-27-89   1:59a

..           <DIR>     10-27-89   1:59a

AUTOEXEC DOS     1267  10-27-89  10:22p -- PC DOS's AUTOEXEC

CONFIG   DOS      416  10-24-89  11:35p -- PC DOS's  CONFIG.SYS

BOOT     COM    42384   8-31-89  12:00p -- Dual BOOT program

BOOT     DOS      512  10-28-89  12:32a

COUNTRY  SYS    13676   8-31-89  12:00p

HPFS     IFS    97306   8-31-89  12:00p

KEYBOARD DCP    94007   8-31-89  12:00p

VIOTBL   DCP    52150   8-31-89  12:00p

       10 File(s)  15298560 bytes free

In order for this to work, you must also modify your OS/2 CONFIG.SYS

to reflect the correct paths. I've enclosed a copy of my CONFIG.SYS.

Please note that I moved all the OS/2 executable files (along with

their data files) to a subdirectory called \OS2\PRG. I like to keep

my \OS2 directories on C: and F: (my HPFS partition) clean...they

contain nothing but subdirectories.

IFS=C:\OS2\SYSTEM\HPFS.IFS -C:64 /AUTOCHECK:F

PROTSHELL=F:\OS2\PRG\PMSHELL.EXE F:\OS2\PRG\OS2.INI F:\OS2\PRG\OS2SYS.INI
F:\OS2\PRG\CMD.EXE

SET COMSPEC=F:\OS2\PRG\CMD.EXE

LIBPATH=C:\OS2\DLL;F:\OS2\DLL;F:\SIDEKICK;E:\Download

SET PATH=F:\OS2\PRG;F:\OS2\INSTALL;f:\programs;

SET DPATH=C:\OS2\SYSTEM;F:\OS2\PRG;C:\OS2\INSTALL;F:\OS2\INSTALL;

SET PROMPT=$i[$p]

SET HELP=F:\OS2\HELP

SET BOOKSHELF=F:\OS2\BOOK

BUFFERS=30

DISKCACHE=64

MAXWAIT=3

MEMMAN=SWAP,MOVE

PROTECTONLY=NO

SWAPPATH=F:\TEMP 512

THREADS=128

IOPL=YES

SHELL=F:\OS2\PRG\COMMAND.COM /P/E:300

BREAK=OFF

FCBS=16,8

RMSIZE=640

DEVICE=F:\OS2\SYSTEM\DOS.SYS

DEVICE=F:\OS2\SYSTEM\ANSI.SYS

COUNTRY=001,C:\OS2\SYSTEM\COUNTRY.SYS

DEVINFO=SCR,VGA,C:\OS2\SYSTEM\VIOTBL.DCP

SET VIDEO_DEVICES=VIO_IBMVGA

SET VIO_IBMVGA=DEVICE(BVHVGA)

DEVICE=F:\OS2\SYSTEM\POINTDD.SYS

DEVICE=F:\OS2\SYSTEM\MSPS202.SYS

DEVICE=F:\OS2\SYSTEM\MOUSE.SYS TYPE=MSPS2$

DEVICE=F:\OS2\SYSTEM\PMDD.SYS

DEVICE=F:\OS2\SYSTEM\EGA.SYS

SET KEYS=ON

DEVICE=C:\OS2\SYSTEM\COM02.SYS

RUN=F:\OS2\PRG\CACHE.EXE /LAZY:ON

Please note that my CONFIG.SYS is for an IBM PS/2 with VGA graphics

and a Microsoft Serial/PS2 mouse. This setup will also load a DOS

emulation box. You will have to modify the CONFIG.SYS and some of the

files listed above to match the setup for your machine. The HELP

system will work if you use the above setup, with the exception of

PM's Print Manager. For some reason, I can't get HELP to work on that

*ONE* program! Frustrating!

(Note: PM's Print Manager, Help doesn't work even if you don't use

       this installation procedure. It's broken - ed JM)

After you boot up the new system, you should edit your OS2.INI files

by changing paths with your Control Panel. Also, in each PM group

containing executable files (or .CMD files), don't forget to tell PM

where each file have been moved to (the HPFS partition).

If you need any help, or have any comments, don't hesitate to contact

me.

  Eric Rintell

  CIS 70357,3434

Note: The following document is distributed by Microsoft with

      no guarantee. You are using this information at your own

      risk. And, please, backup all important files before

      attempting this procedure. (ed JM)

Okay, that's it.  We don't have an ftfp site so this was the only way (I
knew of) to get this out...500 line messages...anyway, I really hope this
helps you.  Just take your time setting things up and it should be fine.