[comp.os.os2.misc] modem card and OS/2 ?

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (11/24/90)

Does anyone know how (or if) an internal modem card can be used on an
AT-bus machine under OS/2? I consider adding such a card to my machine
but already have an I/O card with two serial ports. Thus the modem card
would become COM3. Does anyone know now, if the COM01.SYS driver for
OS/2 on the AT supports more than two serial ports? Does anyone use such
a modem card as COM3 and how is this to be done?

Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel
 * Munich

bking@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Barry King) (11/26/90)

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:

> Does anyone know how (or if) an internal modem card can be used on an
> AT-bus machine under OS/2? I consider adding such a card to my machine
> but already have an I/O card with two serial ports. Thus the modem card
> would become COM3. Does anyone know now, if the COM01.SYS driver for
> OS/2 on the AT supports more than two serial ports? Does anyone use such
> a modem card as COM3 and how is this to be done?
>
> Kai Uwe Rommel
>
> --
> /* Kai Uwe Rommel
>  * Munich
>  * rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
>  */

I've got four serial ports in my machine.  With COM02xx.sys loaded I can
access three of the four.  Apparently there are drivers out there to
access more serial ports but I don't know for sure where they are and I
think that they may be MCA specific.  At any rate, you should be fine
using three serial ports under OS/2 on an ISA bus machine without any
further device support than what is supplied with OS/2.

Hope this helps.

d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se (Mikael Wahlgren) (11/27/90)

In article <BiF8s3w163w@ersys.uucp> ersys!bking@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Barry King) writes:
>rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:

>think that they may be MCA specific.  At any rate, you should be fine
>using three serial ports under OS/2 on an ISA bus machine without any
>further device support than what is supplied with OS/2.

It is _NOT_ possible to access more than _TWO_ serial ports using the
standard COM01.SYS driver for ISA bus machines.  Only the COM02.SYS
driver used on MCA/ABIOS machines support three COM-devices.

There are third party hardware/software which support more COM-devices.

Mikael Wahlgren      d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se

seg@ingres.com (scott e garfinkle) (11/28/90)

In article <1990Nov26.163207.18758@mathrt0.math.chalmers.se> d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se (Mikael Wahlgren) writes:
>It is _NOT_ possible to access more than _TWO_ serial ports using the
>standard COM01.SYS driver for ISA bus machines.  Only the COM02.SYS
>driver used on MCA/ABIOS machines support three COM-devices.
>
>Mikael Wahlgren      d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se

Strictly speaking, correct.  There are, however, easily-available instructions
on how to modify com01.sys to recognize other com ports.

	-scott e. garfinkle

david@metapyr.UUCP (David Relson) (11/28/90)

COM01.SYS only supports devices COM1 and COM2 (at IBM's standard addresses).
I have seen mention of patches to change the device names and their addresses
to allow use of additional devices.  I don't know if these work.

At one point I modified COM01.SYS to suppor three devices (COM1, COM2, and
COM3) at addresses (3F8, 2E8, 3E8 (if I remember correctly)) and interrupts
(4,3, and 5).  It worked fine until I tried to use ZMODEM, when I started
to get frequent, intermittent errors.  When I changed my modem to COM2/2E8/3
and switched back to standard COM01.SYS, all worked fine.

Note:  the other change in environment was OS2 syslevel - my modification
was based on syslevel 4020 and I'm now using syslevel 4069.  Someday I'll
try the original COM01.SYS with ZMODEM and see what happens.  Until then
it's two serial ports at standard addresses.