[comp.os.os2.misc] Help Files for MS Programmer's Workbench

objtch@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Peter Goodall) (12/04/90)

I have been exploring the API interface to OS/2 from Smalltalk/VPM. While
struggling with parameter types i tried to use the help system on the
OS/2 API within the Programmer's Workbench in Microsoft C v6.0.
In the Help system I tried to access the API help - the system told me that
it couldn't find the file msos2.hlp.

After searching my disks and the distribution disks, I could find no trace.
I ame using IBM OS/2 1.2. I could not find any equivalent sounding file
in the OS/2 system.

Is the problem related to the fact that we have two diverging supplies of the
OS? How can I get a help file that will give me access to the OS/2 API help?

Thanks

----------------------------
Peter Goodall

Smalltalk Systems Consultant
ObjecTech P/L
162 Burns Bay Rd,
LANE COVE , NSW, AUSTRALIA
objtch@extro.ucc.su.oz.au

ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (12/05/90)

In article <objtch.660302658@extro> objtch@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Peter Goodall) writes:

>How can I get a help file that will give me access to the OS/2 API help?

As far as I know, the os2 API hlp info is available only as part of the
MS OS/2 development toolkit (and perhaps as part of the IBM Toolkit?).

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (12/05/90)

In article <objtch.660302658@extro>, objtch@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Peter Goodall) writes:
> it couldn't find the file msos2.hlp.

This file comes with the Presentation Manager Toolkit, since it is tied to
OS/2 rather than to C. Microsoft chose to include the name at the top level
of QH anyway (subtle advertising)?
Bob Eager                | University of Kent at Canterbury

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec4.171620.13856@unixg.ubc.ca> ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) writes:
>As far as I know, the os2 API hlp info is available only as part of the
>MS OS/2 development toolkit (and perhaps as part of the IBM Toolkit?).

The OS/2 API help in Quickhelp (Advisor) format is only contained in the
MS OS/2 PM toolkit, not in the MS OS/2 PM Softset and also not in the
IBM OS/2 toolkit. The IBM toolkit does contain API documentation in PM
help format (for the VIEW program coming with OS/2 for the cmd
reference), but this format is rather unusable because it cannot be used
from inside any reasonable editor (where the Quickhelp format can be
used).

Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel