[comp.os.os2.misc] IDE drives and OS/2

seifert@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Ulrich Seifert) (09/02/90)

David A Feustel wrote on 8/4/90:

> My suggestion is to get an IDE controller and disk (Conner is a good choice)..
That sounds very interesting. Unfortunately I am stuck with IBM's vs. 1.1 EE
running on a clone right now but I would like to upgrade pretty soon. In this
version there is no devive driver for IDE included. Therefore I would like to
know a few more details on this topic (actually few other guys are interested
to use IDE drives too).

- With which version of OS/2 (and Microsoft-OEM or IBM ?) comes the device
  driver for IDE ? Anybody knows if IBM supplies it or if it is easily
  available somewhere else?
- Which controllers and drives can be used, are there any restrictions? Well,
  I have no idea if the host interface for IDE is kind of standard so who has
  some insight or experience ?
- Is HPFS supported by the device driver ?

Any answer is appreciated !!!

Thank's
           Uli

feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Feustel) (09/02/90)

IDE drives appear to the hardware to be standard WD1003 types. No drivers
are needed to use the drives with OS/2. I'm currently using a 100 meg Conner
IDE with IBM OS/2 version 1.2 and a 200 meg Conner IDE with Microsoft OS/2
version 2.0 SDK with absolutely no problems.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (09/02/90)

In article <13068@netcom.UUCP> feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Feustel) writes:
>IDE drives appear to the hardware to be standard WD1003 types. No drivers
>are needed to use the drives with OS/2. I'm currently using a 100 meg Conner
>IDE with IBM OS/2 version 1.2 and a 200 meg Conner IDE with Microsoft OS/2
>version 2.0 SDK with absolutely no problems.

Is this also true for drives with "AT-Interface"? I got offers for such
drives but did not yet use one and don't know anyone who uses such a
drive with OS/2. Is this interface the same like IDE?

Another question to ESDI drives. I have already installed OS/2 (1.1) on
a ESDI disk without problems. Some days ago a friend's disk (ST-4096)
died and because he doesn't have much time he already got a new one, a
Maxtor ESDI disk and a WD-1007V. Although OS/2 (1.2 EE by IBM) can
access, partition and format the disk, the installation procedure
generates a protection fault when "Transferring files". Any suggestions?
The same system installed correctly with his old ST-4096/WD-1006MM2 disk.

Thanks
Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel
 * Munich

seifert@sun1.ruf.uni-freiburg.de (Ulrich Seifert) (09/02/90)

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel asks

>Are drives with "AT-Interface" and IDE the same thing ?

Kai Uwe,
as far as a dealer told me (hopefully he knows what he says) it is the same.
AT-interface seems to be the name Seagate uses. IDE is the name for the rest
of the world.
I hope this was correct but I am not really sure.

Bye,
     Uli

spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Kevin Spier) (12/06/90)

I am interested in buying an IDE drive for an Epson 386/20. My question is
this, since my machine does not have a user defined drive type (ala 47 in
the AMI BIOS) what type of software / interface card do I need to use
this IDE drive with OS/2? I have seen interface cards with "BIOS on board"
as well as things like Disk Manager. Any help would be grealy appreciated.

Please e-mail directly to me.

Thanks,
Kevin L. Spier
spierk@turing.cs.rpi.edu