[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 1.3 information

CCMK@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Mark Kosten - Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni.) (11/29/90)

Just thought I would try to clear up some of the misinformation
with OS/2 1.3.  I have it on order here in Australia, and I assume
the following holds for other countries as well.

For a period of 4 months from OS/2 1.3 availability you can receive
a free upgrade from version 1.2 standard edition, extended edition
and LAN Server free of charge.

Availability is:

OS/2 1.3 SE - 31 December 1990
OS/2 1.3 EE - 31 January 1990
OS/2 1.3 Lan Server - 31 April 1991

The part numbers are:

OS/2 1.2 to 1.3
	Program product upgrade: 75x1052 - 5873 B44 #1575 (90mm diskettes)
	Additional licence upgrade: 15f7202 - 5874 A63
OS/2 EE 1.2 to 1.3
	Program: 85f1654 - 5873 B40 #1625 (90mm)
	Licence: 85f1652 - 5874 A69
Lan Server 1.2 to 1.3
	Program: 15f7171 - 5873 A98 #1665
	Licence: 33f9381 - 5874 A67

The conditions are:

- Offer applies to base programs and additional licences.
- Order for 1.3 upgrade must be placed by the end of the availability period.
  Claims after that period will not be accepted.
- Customer must be able to show proof of purchase to receive the free
  upgrade.

----

From what I understand IBM do not have a 1.21 and have gone to 1.3.
Microsoft will sell 1.3 to OEMs only, and only if they ask (of course).
1.3 is the 'Lite' version, which means two average programs and the
DOS box can run in 2 MB (less than Windows 3.0, supposedly).  It is
the full version of OS/2, with the added support of Adobe Type Manager
and some other stuff I can't recall right now.
All calls remain the same, so there should be complete compatibility
with previous versions.  Reports indicate 1.3 is very smooth, stable
and mature (as far as the 80286 version is concerned).  I guess
this is the only IBM version that will run Lan Manager 2.0.

Mark Kosten,           phone: +61 3 479-2767
Computer Centre,       AARNet (internet): ccmk@lure.latrobe.edu.au
La Trobe University,   ACSnet: ccmk@lure.lat.oz.au
Bundoora, 3083         X.25 (PSI): 2347300000::ccmk
Australia

CCMK@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Mark Kosten - Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni.) (12/08/90)

I posted this about two weeks ago but nobody seems to have seen it.
I am following up on it and hopefully it will get better coverage,
and answer some persistent questions.