[comp.os.os2.misc] SKIP/NEWSGROUP

baer@uwovax.uwo.ca (12/06/90)

Does anyone have a (hopefully comprehensive) list of features
which OS/2 vers. 1.3 will have but which are not found in OS/2 1.2?
I need to make an upgrade decision between a upgrade of a third party
vers. 1.2 (from my current 1.2) versus going to IBM (or elsewhere)
and getting 1.3 for slightly more $$.
Douglas Baer,
University of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5C2
Internet: BAER@UWO.CA    Bitnet: BAER@UWOVAX

ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (12/06/90)

In article <7981.275d0af4@uwovax.uwo.ca> baer@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>Does anyone have a (hopefully comprehensive) list of features
>which OS/2 vers. 1.3 will have but which are not found in OS/2 1.2?

The "Highlights" section of the announcement says:
  - increased performance in memory-constrained environments
  - reduced main memory and fixed disk requirements
  - Adobe Type Manager and IBM's core set of fonts
  - Procedures Language 2/REXX
  - Printer installation, performance, usability and device driver
    enhancements
  - New Program Properties enable simplified application auto start
   at boot time.

The inclusion of REXX and ATM are problably the most significant items
in this list.

I have the complete announcement I could email you if you want to read
all the (not very helpful) details.

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (12/06/90)

In article <1990Dec6.010716.28071@unixg.ubc.ca> ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) writes:
>The "Highlights" section of the announcement says:
>  - increased performance in memory-constrained environments
>  - reduced main memory and fixed disk requirements
>  - Adobe Type Manager and IBM's core set of fonts
>  - Procedures Language 2/REXX
>  - Printer installation, performance, usability and device driver
>    enhancements
>  - New Program Properties enable simplified application auto start
>   at boot time.

(about OS/2 1.3 from IBM)

Will registered users of OS/2 1.2 from IBM automatically get an update
offer from IBM?

Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel
 * Munich

ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (12/07/90)

In article <5940@tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:

>Will registered users of OS/2 1.2 from IBM automatically get an update
>offer from IBM?

I suspect the rules may be different in different countries, so you'll
have to check with your local IBM office.

Here in Canada, there is a free upgrade from 1.2 to 1.3 available for
4 months.  There is a free upgrade to the toolkit also.  You have to
get a form from IBM Canada, and as far as I know they won't ship
automatically.

In the US there is a free upgrade for 4 months (I think), from either
1.1 or 1.2.  It needs a form signed by your dealer, apparently.

By the way, this was announced about the beginning of November and is
supposed to be available as of November 30th.  I haven't heard of anybody
actually getting a copy yet.

cfreas@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Terry Freas) (12/09/90)

In article <5940@tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:
>In article <1990Dec6.010716.28071@unixg.ubc.ca> ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) writes:
>(about OS/2 1.3 from IBM)
>
>Will registered users of OS/2 1.2 from IBM automatically get an update
>offer from IBM?

No.  The 1.2->1.3 upgrade requires a form to be sent to IBM with your
pertinent personal information and your IBM rep.'s signature.  I downloaded
a copy from IBM's NSC BBS.  If there is enough interest, I can post it
here.
--
Jeremy Wohl / wohl@max.physics.sunysb.edu / cfreas@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec8.175316.16525@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, cfreas@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Terry Freas) writes:
> No.  The 1.2->1.3 upgrade requires a form to be sent to IBM with your
> pertinent personal information and your IBM rep.'s signature.  I downloaded
> a copy from IBM's NSC BBS.  If there is enough interest, I can post it
> here.

I understand that IBM have now offered an alternate method. No rep's signature
necessary, just the license proof from the 1.2 release.
Bob Eager                | University of Kent at Canterbury