[comp.os.os2.misc] Installing OS/2 Over Another OS

jwh@bodwin.ifs.umich.edu (James W. Howe) (12/04/90)

I've been trying to install OS/2 1.2 EE over AIX on a PS/2
and I encountered a problem.  The problem is that I could
not remove the old AIX partitions on the hard disk.  I
was able to install OS/2 over the DOS partition but 70% of
the disk was still allocated for AIX.  I finally "solved"
my problem by installing AIX and aborting the installation
at the point where AIX starts to prepare the disk.  This
left me with one partition of 1 cylinder and the rest unused.
My question is this, is there a way to remove partitions of
other operating systems using only the OS/2 software provided?

James W. Howe			   internet: jwh@ifs.umich.edu
University of Michigan             uucp:     uunet!mailrus!ifs.umich.edu!jwh
Ann Arbor, MI   48103-4943

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) (12/04/90)

You should be able to boot from a system floppy, then use the FDISK command.

Cheers,
Q - the "Q"uestor for knowledge (, a degree, etc.)

lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu
ibmman@clemson.clemson.edu
"Gee Wally, I think there's something wrong with the Beaver."

roberts@cognos.UUCP (Robert Stanley) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec3.181139.28985@terminator.cc.umich.edu>
           jwh@bodwin.ifs.umich.edu (James W. Howe) writes:
>I've been trying to install OS/2 1.2 EE over AIX on a PS/2
>and I encountered a problem.  The problem is that I could
>not remove the old AIX partitions on the hard disk.
>My question is this, is there a way to remove partitions of
>other operating systems using only the OS/2 software provided?

Someone else has already suggested booting off a floppy and using
FDISK.  It is by no means clear that this will work for foreign
(i.e. non-OS/2 partitions).  The OS/2 FDISK that I have claims to
understand only OS/2, DOS and Xenix partitions.

I do not have a PS/2 with AIX installed on it, so I have no way
of proving or disproving my theory.

The only way that I have found to *reliably* recover an entire
hard disk on a PS/2 is to use the low-level format.  To do this,
boot your machine from the reference diskette; when the first
menu appears, do a <control>A and you will get the "Advanced"
("Alternative"?) diagnostics menu, which includes a low-level
format.

Using the low-level format (which can take a l-o-n-g time for a
large disk) returns you a virgin volume.  The OS/2 installation
will then force you to partition, and offer you the entire volume.
Of course, this approach is no use if you have stuff in other
partitions on the volume that you wish to keep.

Robert_S
--
Robert Stanley   UUCP: uunet!mitel!cunews!cognos!roberts | 3755 Riverside Drive
Cognos, Inc.     INET: roberts%cognos.uucp@uunet.uu.net  | PO Box 9707, Ottawa

In article <12048@hubcap.clemson.edu> lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) writes:
>You should be able to boot from a system floppy, then use the FDISK command.

If you use the FDISK command that comes on the installation diskette it
requires you to give parameters.  The only parameter that I know of is
/d to delete the current partition.  I haven't found any documentation
on any other parameters.  I tried booting from a DOS disk and using its
FDISK but it will only delete DOS partitions.  When I installed OS/2 in
the one paritition that was available I was able to run the FDISKPM
program.  Unfortunately this program would only let me make the non DOS/OS2
partitions startable, it wouldn't let me delete them.

stever@Octopus.COM (Steve Resnick ) (12/05/90)

In article <12048@hubcap.clemson.edu> lsalomo@hubcap.clemson.edu (lsalomo) writes:
>You should be able to boot from a system floppy, then use the FDISK command.

Not really. If the disk partition is not marked as a DOS/OS2 partition then it
will not get deleted by FDISK. When I installed OS/2, I had already had UNIX
on the machine. Just for kicks, to sterlize the file system, I typed in
rm -r /

This did, in fact, kill the filesystem and the UNIX fdisk along with it; I
couldn't delete my 200MB UNIX partition. I didn't want to destroy the
two DOS partitions on the disk by doing a low-level format (which was the
only way I could see of removing those partitions) so I used NU (Norton
Utility) to change the partition ID byte and made it a DOS partition. I was
then able to delete it and continue on.

Cheers!
Steve

steve.resnick@f105.n143.z1.FIDONET.ORG - or - apple!camphq!105!steve.resnick
Flames, grammar errors, spelling errrors >/dev/nul
The Asylum OS/2 BBS - (408)263-8017 IFNA 1:143/105.0

rcook@sneezy.helios.nd.edu (12/17/90)

|> In article <1990Dec3.181139.28985@terminator.cc.umich.edu>
|>            jwh@bodwin.ifs.umich.edu (James W. Howe) writes:
|> >I've been trying to install OS/2 1.2 EE over AIX on a PS/2
|> >and I encountered a problem.  The problem is that I could
|> >not remove the old AIX partitions on the hard disk.
|> >My question is this, is there a way to remove partitions of
|> >other operating systems using only the OS/2 software provided?

You can delete partition by directly editing the partition table with something
like Norton Utilities Advanced addition.  Startup in maintanence mode:

NU /m

choose absolute sector under selections and choose sector 0, track 0, head 0

Blank out the data for the foriegn partition.

Save the sector (ESC then W for write).

Reboot.

You should no longer have the foriegn partion, so run FDISK.

Voila.

Robert Kelley Cook
University of Notre Dame