[comp.os.os2.misc] COM Ports...

Andrew_Hooper@f110.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Andrew Hooper) (12/21/90)

FSC-Control: EID:5b59 15960962
Hi,
I am real new to OS/2 and am really just beginning to explore things. I have
downloaded a couple of comms programs now and can't seem to get either
working. My system doesn't seem to recognize my COM1 or COM2 ports. I am
currently using PROCOMM PLUS after booting off a DOS floppy, but that's a
hassle. I would far prefer to get an OS/2 comms program working. I have a
DEVICE=\OS2\COM01.SYS statement in my config.sys file...

Am I doing something wrong??? I have read all available (scanty) info I can
get my hands on already.

Thanks in advance.

Hoops

--- Opus-CBCS 1.14
 * Origin: Andrew's Folly, Wellington, 64-4-339-887, *V32* (3:771/150.0)
SEEN-BY: 771/110 150 151 170 772/20
FSC-Control: PATH: 771/150 170

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (12/26/90)

In article <9012231849.AA20609@f170.n771.z3.fidonet.org>, Andrew_Hooper@f110.n771.z3.fidonet.org (Andrew Hooper) writes:
> I am real new to OS/2 and am really just beginning to explore things. I have
> downloaded a couple of comms programs now and can't seem to get either
> working. My system doesn't seem to recognize my COM1 or COM2 ports. I am
> currently using PROCOMM PLUS after booting off a DOS floppy, but that's a
> hassle. I would far prefer to get an OS/2 comms program working. I have a
> DEVICE=\OS2\COM01.SYS statement in my config.sys file...

I assume you're trying to run PROCOMM in the DOS box. You have to make a COM
port available for use by a DOS program under OS/2. Check out the command
SETCOM40; it's something like:
                 SETCOM40 COM1:=ON

Bob
Bob Eager                | University of Kent at Canterbury