[comp.os.os2.misc] os/2 difference

chapman@acf3.NYU.EDU (Gary Chapman) (01/11/91)

What would be the difference between installing OS/2 standard edition and
installing OS/2 extended edition, but not letting the installation program
install communications manager, database manager...?

 - Gary Chapman

db3l@ibm.com (David Bolen) (01/12/91)

In article <11420001@acf3.NYU.EDU> chapman@acf3.NYU.EDU (Gary Chapman) writes:

>What would be the difference between installing OS/2 standard edition and
>installing OS/2 extended edition, but not letting the installation program
>install communications manager, database manager...?

For the most part, I don't think you'll see much of a difference.  The OS/2 EE
kernel is built from the SE kernel, with IBM mostly adding new subsystems
(like Comm and DB Mgr, etc..).  Since OS/2 EE is normally built a few months
after OS/2 SE has been released, the EE kernel does generally contain some
fixes that aren't in the released SE, but sent out as a fix disk for SE.

For OS/2 <= 1.2, another significant difference between SE and EE was the
inclusion of Rexx in EE as a system command file language.  With OS/2 1.3,
Rexx is now part of SE, so that difference no longer exists.

--
-- David

 \                             David Bolen                             /
  |    Laboratory Automation, IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center    |
 /              P.O. Box 218, Yorktown Heights, NY  10598              \
| - - - - - - - - - - - -  M i t h r a n d i r  - - - - - - - - - - - - |
| Internet : db3l@ibm.com                    | Bitnet : db3l@yktvmv     |
| Usenet   : uunet!bywater!arnor!larios!db3l | Phone  : (914) 945-1940  |
|   /---------------------------------------------------------------\   |
 \-( All comments/opinions are mine and don't represent those of IBM )-/
    \---------------------------------------------------------------/

dbc0027@cec1.wustl.edu (Daniel Bryan Crank) (01/15/91)

In article <11420001@acf3.NYU.EDU> chapman@acf3.NYU.EDU (Gary Chapman) writes:
>What would be the difference between installing OS/2 standard edition and
>installing OS/2 extended edition, but not letting the installation program
>install communications manager, database manager...?

About $500.  8^)

| "He seems to be completely unreceptive --               |     YOYODYNE     |
|  The tests we gave him show no sense at all..."         |Propulsion Systems|
|                          --The Who, "Go To The Mirror"  |Grover's Mill, NJ |
| Email to dbc0027@cec1.wustl.edu (Top Secret Think Tank) |------------------|