[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 EE on non-IBM

lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) (01/10/91)

Before I knew any better, I was running OS/2 1.1 EE on my Dell 316LT.  Since
then I've learned that this can't be done.  (I also learned that IBM doesn't
make software - go figure.)

Proprietary politics of MCA aside, can/should OS/2 EE be run on non-IBM
systems?  Will IBM be releasing EE to other vendors?

Thanks - I'm still getting my feet wet in this pond.

--kyler

martin@delluk.uucp (Martin Jackson) (01/14/91)

In <3500@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) writes:

>Before I knew any better, I was running OS/2 1.1 EE on my Dell 316LT.  Since
>then I've learned that this can't be done.  (I also learned that IBM doesn't
>make software - go figure.)

>Proprietary politics of MCA aside, can/should OS/2 EE be run on non-IBM
>systems?  Will IBM be releasing EE to other vendors?

>Thanks - I'm still getting my feet wet in this pond.

>--kyler

IBM won't be releasing any OS/2 EE versions to any vendors. v1.21 EE has been
tested on a Dell 320lt and it works o.k., therefore, I see no problems with it
working on a Dell316lt but, I have not tested it thou.

Martin
Dell Tech Support
--
Martin Jackson, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW           | Domain: martin@dell.co.uk

ubiquity@cs.utexas.edu (Richard Hoffman) (01/15/91)

writes:
>Proprietary politics of MCA aside, can/should OS/2 EE be run on non-IBM
>systems?

I am on the development team for OS/2 EE Database Manager.  IBM cannot
claim support for any piece of software on any piece of hardware or
on any operating system until we test it, and we do not usually test
our software on competitive platforms.  OS/2 EE may very well run on
many platforms other than IBM systems, but the risk is entirely your
own.  The worst case would be a system that appears to work well but
then develops some insidious problem just when you can afford it least.

Of course, other vendors may do the testing themselves, and be willing
to warrant that EE will run on their systems.  This may reduce your risk
somewhat.

| DISCLAIMER: This posting should not be taken as an official statement of |
| IBM support, or non-support, for any particular product or environment.  |
| IBM's official statements of support and non-support may be found in the |
| relevant OS/2 Publications, and in official IBM announcements.           |
Richard Hoffman             IBM Entry Systems Division            (512) 823-1822
1529 Ben Crenshaw Way
Austin, TX 78746         "Life is a gamble at terrible odds;
(512) 327-9232            if it were a bet you wouldn't take it"  (Tom Stoppard)