[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 LanManager 2.0 question

mshiels@tmsoft.uucp (Michael A. Shiels) (01/10/91)

I am hoping someone @microsoft will see and respond to this but amybe
someone else knows things about this.

a) we are an OS/2 Lan Manager reseller/whatever

b) we currently use our own home brew LAN which has a very nice feature.
   it allows what we call hierarchical networks.  Ie lan A has a "server"
   and a workstation on lan A which just happens to be the "server" for
   lan B.  So the lan B server actually does the equivalent of net use's
   from the lan A server and then provides them as drives to users on the
   lan B network.

BIG PROBLEM.  This doesn't work under Lan Manager.  So you also can't do things
like have your server bring in a bunch of DECnet or NFS drives and share
them with all your users.

Any luck in this changing?

dannygl@microsoft.UUCP (Danny GLASSER) (01/17/91)

In article <1991Jan10.012218.19859@tmsoft.uucp> mshiels@tmsoft.UUCP (Michael A. Shiels) writes:

>b) we currently use our own home brew LAN which has a very nice feature.
>   it allows what we call hierarchical networks.  Ie lan A has a "server"
>   and a workstation on lan A which just happens to be the "server" for
>   lan B.  So the lan B server actually does the equivalent of net use's
>   from the lan A server and then provides them as drives to users on the
>   lan B network.
>
>BIG PROBLEM.  This doesn't work under Lan Manager.  So you also can't do things
>like have your server bring in a bunch of DECnet or NFS drives and share
>them with all your users.
>
>Any luck in this changing?

    To clarify a little, the restriction is that a LAN Manager server cannot
share a LAN Manager remote drive (i.e. a drive that is redirected through
the LAN Manager client software on that server via the NET USE command).
This restriction does not apply to other types of drives; for example, if
you have an OS/2 IFS running on the server that serves as the redirector
for another network (such as DECnet or NFS), you can share directories on
the drive(s) managed by that IFS and thus have the server act as a gateway.

    The main technical reason for the restriction is to avoid the problem
of recursive references.  A key point is that as a rule, in a homogeneous
LAN environment this style of gatewaying is not employed.  If there are
LAN Manager servers in such an environment that need to be accessed by
clients on more than one network, they should be configured as multi-net
systems.  Hence the need for chained redirections (i.e. NET SHARE of NET
USE) in such an environment is relatively rare.  In a heterogenous
environment (e.g.  a LAN where one server is a gateway to an NFS network),
the gateway connection is not managed by LAN Manager, and so the
aforementioned restriction does not occur.

In article <1297@vaxeline.COM> backman@vaxeline.COM (Larry Backman) writes:

>I have experienced the same problem with my NFS IFS.  I can run the
>NFS IFS on the same machine as a LAN Manager server and merrily
>copy files from NFS drives to LANMAN remote & local drives.  However,
>when I do the following....
>
>	mount z: //sun/usr/xx/yy/z    #mount an nfs drive
>	net share sun=z:\
>I get the <command completed successfully> message.
>Another LANMAN client than is able to
>
>	net use g: \\gatewaymachine\sun
>and gets the same <command completed successfully> message from LANMAN.
>However any access of <g:> fails with a <drive not found> msg.

    There is no particular reason that this operation should fail.  I'd
have to know more about the details of the problem before I could offer
a diagnosis or a suggestion.

                            -- Danny Glasser