[comp.os.os2.misc] 8514/A & ISA-Bus

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (01/15/91)

Does anyone successfully use the WD/Paradise 8514/A Plus card in an
ISA-Bus machine with OS/2 ?

I got such a card and although it works well with Windows 3.0 it does
NOT work with OS/2 (IBM 1.2) until now. It has the memory upgrad to 1MB
installed which is required for OS/2.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,
Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel, Munich ----- rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de */

DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams (MS)

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (01/16/91)

In article <6578@tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de>, rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:
> Does anyone successfully use the WD/Paradise 8514/A Plus card in an
> ISA-Bus machine with OS/2 ?
>
> I got such a card and although it works well with Windows 3.0 it does
> NOT work with OS/2 (IBM 1.2) until now. It has the memory upgrad to 1MB
> installed which is required for OS/2.

There are directions (already posted in this newsgroup) from Western
Digital on how to install the Paradise 8514/A card and use it with OS/2 1.2.
Similar information is also contained in the IBM OS/2 1.2 manual; it's a
question of unpacking the right device driver, and then naming it
DISPLAY.DLL, and then modifying config.sys.

IBM's OS/2 1.3 recognises the 8514/A card and installs the correct driver
for it without user intervention.  The card also continues to work fine.

By the way, Windows 3.0 under OS/2 1.3 is faster than under OS/2 1.2

			Adrian Goldman

Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX
Waksman Insitute,                      |  Phone:     (908) 932-4864
Rutgers University,                    |  Fax:       (908) 932-5735
Piscataway, NJ 08855 USA               |

robk@cpqhou.uucp (Rob Kiesler) (01/16/91)

in article <6578@tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de>, rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) says:

> Does anyone successfully use the WD/Paradise 8514/A Plus card in an
> ISA-Bus machine with OS/2 ?
>
> I got such a card and although it works well with Windows 3.0 it does
> NOT work with OS/2 (IBM 1.2) until now. It has the memory upgrad to 1MB
> installed which is required for OS/2.
>
> Any suggestions ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Kai Uwe Rommel

We have a WD 8514a that we have been running with OS/2 1.2 for several months
with no problem. You need to make sure that:

1) An uncompressed 8514.DLL renamed to DISPLAY.DLL is the FIRST DISPLAY.DLL
found in your LIBPATH.
2) You have modified the BVH entries in your CONFIG.SYS as follows:
	Replace "DEVINFO=SCR,VGA,C:\OS2\VIOTBL.DCP" with
		"DEVINFO=SCR,BGA,C:\OS2\VIOTBL.DCP"

	Replace "SET VIDEO_DEVICES=VIO_VGA" with
		"SET VIDEO_DEVICES=VIO_IBM8514A"

	Replace "SET VIO_VGA=DEVICE(BVHVGA)" with
		"SET VIO_IBM8514A=DEVICE(BVHVGA,BVH8514A)"

Note that since the 8514a is a secondary display adapter only, it REQUIRES the
presence of a primary display adapter such as a VGA,EGA,CGA, etc. All OS/2 full
screen groups will run on the primary display adapter. The above example
assumes your'e using a VGA as your primary display adapter.

Note that Compaq OS/2 v1.21 will install the 8514 driver correctly right out
of the box. I would assume that this is true for other vendors' versions of
OS/2 as well.

Hope this helps.

Rob Kiesler
Compaq Computer

"Is that a real poncho, or is that a Sears(TM) poncho?"
			- FZ

robk@cpqhou.uucp (Rob Kiesler) (01/18/91)

in article <248.279429fd@mbcl.rutgers.edu>, goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu says:

> In article <6578@tuminfo1.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de>, rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) writes:
>> Does anyone successfully use the WD/Paradise 8514/A Plus card in an
>> ISA-Bus machine with OS/2 ?
>>
>> I got such a card and although it works well with Windows 3.0 it does
>> NOT work with OS/2 (IBM 1.2) until now. It has the memory upgrad to 1MB
>> installed which is required for OS/2.
>>

> There are directions (already posted in this newsgroup) from Western
> Digital on how to install the Paradise 8514/A card and use it with OS/2 1.2.
> Similar information is also contained in the IBM OS/2 1.2 manual; it's a
> question of unpacking the right device driver, and then naming it
> DISPLAY.DLL, and then modifying config.sys.

You also need to unpack BVH8514A.DLL and place it in your LIBPATH, as well as
modifying the BVH statements in your CONFIG.SYS to use it.

Rob Kiesler
Compaq Computer

"Is that a real poncho, or is that a Sears(TM) poncho?"
			- FZ

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (01/19/91)

I forgot to mention in my first article, that I have the WD instructions
for OS/2 for the 8514/A Plus and that I followed them carefully but the
card/driver doesn't work (although it works under DOS&Windows).
I have the memory upgrade installed and use IBM OS/2 1.2.
I have already tried to remove all additional hardware (modem card,
hercules mono card, tape adapter) but nothing solved the problem.

After installing all DLL's and SETtings in CONFIG.SYS, when I reboot,
the machine hangs just before it should display the PM screen the first
time. Currently, I have no idea what could be wrong, therefore I was
asking ...

Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel, Munich ----- rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de */

DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams (MS)

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (01/20/91)

The reason for the reported problems was the display I used. It was a
gray-shade multisync display (TVM MG-11) because my new display is
already ordered but I do not yet have it. Although the MG-11 is capable
of 1024x768 interlaced, it seems that it has wrong ID bits set which
prevent the OS/2 driver from working.

I have now borrowed an Eizo/Nanao 9080i display (the same which I will
get soon) and the Paradise 8514/A now works (noninterlaced, 70Hz, of
course, it's really fine).

I have also patched the ibm8514.dll for 32x32 icons instead of 64x64
icons which are far too big for a 16" display. But I have two questions
now:

1. The VioGetConfig() call now returns the values 7 for the video card
   type and 9 for the display type but only values of up to 4 for the
   video card and 5 for the display are documented. Does anyone know
   what all the other values mean ?

2. Is it correct that CodeView cannot display the debug screen on the
   VGA (with a second multisync display) while running the debugged
   program on the 8514/A ? Do I still have to debug with a mono card and
   a TTL display (which still works) ? The CodeView for Windows *can*
   debug with 8514 & VGA with the option /8 and I would like to know if
   this is possible under OS/2 too.

Thanks in advance,
Kai Uwe Rommel