[comp.os.os2.misc] what books need to be written on OS/2?

robk@cpqhou.uucp (Rob Kiesler) (01/19/91)

in article <38149@cup.portal.com>, Henderson@cup.portal.com (Ray - Henderson) says:

> I'm doing a bit of informal research on what types of technical and
> reference materials are needed relating to OS/2.  I'd appreciate your
> suggestions on topics that would lend themselves well to a becoming
> a technical or reference book.  (either because the topic is not
> covered in existing books, or it not covered in sufficient detail
> in existing books).  Suggested authors would be very welcome too.

The current documentation on writing PM drivers, such as display and printer
drivers, leaves much to be desired. Such a book would be well received
by those who are doing driver development, but I'm not sure that would be
a big enough market for most publishers.

Rob Kiesler
Compaq Computer

"Is that a real poncho, or is that a Sears(TM) poncho?"
			- FZ

davepat@olivej.olivetti.com (David Patterson) (01/22/91)

In article <38149@cup.portal.com>, Henderson@cup.portal.com (Ray - Henderson) writes:

> I'm doing a bit of informal research on what types of technical and
> reference materials are needed relating to OS/2.  I'd appreciate your
> suggestions on topics that would lend themselves well to a becoming
> a technical or reference book.  (either because the topic is not
> covered in existing books, or it not covered in sufficient detail
> in existing books).  Suggested authors would be very welcome too.
>
> Ray Henderson
> Editor
> Prentice Hall
> henderson@cup.portal.com, rph@prenhall.com

I've got a few ideas, and I've been told that I know enough about OS/2 to
write one of my own.  One question, and you seem to have the appropriate
id there, how does one go about writing a book?  Do I come to you with
a stack of papers, or do I need an agent?  (some silly questions, maybe,
but I know -zero- about writing a book...).

-Dave Patterson

            l                                 t        t
 oooooo     l    i   v       v    eeeeee     ttttt    ttttt    i
o      o    l    i    v     v    eeeeeeee     t        t       i
o      o    l    i      v v      e            t   t    t   t   i
 oooooo     l    i       v        eeeeee       ttt      ttt    i

========== {ucbvax, etc.}!hplabs!oliveb!olivej!davepat ============
                   = 'nuff lines there? =