[comp.os.os2.misc] TCP/IP and Ethernet

tsh@hila.hut.fi (Timo Hyvonen) (01/24/91)

Hardware: IBM PS/2 70, Western Digital WD 8003 Ethercard Plus/A, Thin Ethernet
Server: 3Com Etherlink Plus (to the Ethernet), WD 8003 (to the main network)
Software: OS/2 v1.1, TCP/IP v1.0
Server: Interactive sysVr3 rel. 2.0.2

Problem: Cannot connect the PS/2 to the network. TCP/IP seems to find the
route alright, but none of the services seem to work - they start, though.
I'm using the server address as the default route, metric 0, netmask
255.255.255.0, broadcast should be alright. I have configured Communications
manager properly, I have tried both IEEE 802.3 and Ethernet DIX v2.0 -options.
No deal.

I have the ps/2 ip-address and name in the /etc/hosts -file of the server,
should I configure some kind of hosts file to the workstation itself for
it to work?

Is there something I should config more? I followed the TCP/IP configuration
guide really closely, but there seems to be no explanation to this error.

If anyone has experience of installing os/2 computers to ethernet? Any idea
where I went wrong?

Timo

I						i tsh@hut.fi		I
I  "Kirk to Enterprise -- beam down 		i Timo Hyv|nen		I
I   yeoman Rand and a six-pack"			i JMT1A132 Espoo, FIN   I
I						i +358-0-468 2241	I

oleg@ibm.com (01/25/91)

In  <1991Jan23.204132.4142@santra.uucp>  tsh@hila.hut.fi (Timo Hyvonen) writes:

> Hardware: IBM PS/2 70, Western Digital WD 8003 Ethercard Plus/A, Thin Ethernet
> Server: 3Com Etherlink Plus (to the Ethernet), WD 8003 (to the main network)
> Software: OS/2 v1.1, TCP/IP v1.0
> Server: Interactive sysVr3 rel. 2.0.2
>
> Problem: Cannot connect the PS/2 to the network. TCP/IP seems to find the
> route alright, but none of the services seem to work - they start, though.

Are you sure about the 1.1 version of OS/2 ?
Ethernet was supported starting with 1.2. Also, TCP/IP product says
it requires OS/2 1.2 or later.

Oleg Vishnepolsky
IBM T. J. Watson Research Center

ian@unipalm.uucp (Ian Phillipps) (01/26/91)

oleg@ibm.com writes:

>In  <1991Jan23.204132.4142@santra.uucp>  tsh@hila.hut.fi (Timo Hyvonen) writes:
>>
>> Server: 3Com Etherlink Plus (to the Ethernet), WD 8003 (to the main network)
>> Software: OS/2 v1.1, TCP/IP v1.0
>> Server: Interactive sysVr3 rel. 2.0.2
>>
>> Problem: Cannot connect the PS/2 to the network. TCP/IP seems to find the
>> route alright, but none of the services seem to work - they start, though.

>Are you sure about the 1.1 version of OS/2 ?
>Ethernet was supported starting with 1.2. Also, TCP/IP product says
>it requires OS/2 1.2 or later.

You could use one of the alternatives, like FTP or 3Com.

These work with OS/2 of 1.0 and 1.1; FTP's doesn't require Com Manager (also
a 1.2ism, I think).

Ian...
What? Signature file?

tsh@hila.hut.fi (Timo Hyvonen) (01/27/91)

In article <1991Jan24.165555.23590@arnor.uucp> oleg@ibm.com writes:

>> Problem: Cannot connect the PS/2 to the network. TCP/IP seems to find the
>> route alright, but none of the services seem to work - they start, though.

>Are you sure about the 1.1 version of OS/2 ?
>Ethernet was supported starting with 1.2. Also, TCP/IP product says
>it requires OS/2 1.2 or later.

Ok, sorry, remembered the version number wrong. It is 1.2.

But still cannot ping, telnet or anything outside...strange.