[comp.os.os2.misc] LM/X

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (01/22/91)

I'm working on a story for Unix World about LAN Manager/X, or LAN
Manager for Unix.  How many implementations of it are there?  Is
anybody actually using it?  I'd be interested in hearing from users or
vendors.  For now, I'd like to ask people to email me or post, rather
than call, because I don't have a firm assignment yet; I need to do a
little research and then do a proposal.  Thanks...

mco@slimer.UUCP (Mark C. Otto) (01/24/91)

In article <13285@asylum.SF.CA.US> sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) writes:
>I'm working on a story for Unix World about LAN Manager/X, or LAN
>Manager for Unix.  How many implementations of it are there?  Is
>anybody actually using it?  I'd be interested in hearing from users or
>vendors.  ... [rest deleted] ...

I use it every day.  I use LM/X (by Hewlett-Packard) on my HP 9000/375
workstation and access it from my HP RS20C personal computer under OS/2
version 1.2 with Lan Manager 2.0.  I can also run MS-DOS 4.01 and get at
the LM/X server via HP Officeshare (wonderful stuff, this backward
compatability).  What would you like to know?  Oh, by the way, ignore
the Orgganization line and my .sig, since Versatile Systems no longer
exists; I work for Hewlett-Packard, but not for the division that makes
LM/X so I think I can remain objective.  Be that as it may, I sysop the
375 and have a group of approximately 10 R&D engineers and support personnel
that share the drives and printer offered up through LM/X and have had *NO*
problems and *NO* maintenance hassles ever since I installed it almost a
year ago.  It seems to be a fine well-designed product in keeping with
the high quality of workstation software (as compared to that of the PC
world) in general.  What else would you like to know?

--
Mark C. Otto   EMail: mco@slimer, {teemc | hpftc}!slimer!mco
Voice: 1-313-441-4264    USnail: 5133 Heather #208, Dearborn, MI. 48126

rob@disk.UUCP (Rob Miracle) (01/27/91)

In article <2576@slimer.UUCP>, mco@slimer.UUCP (Mark C. Otto) writes:
> In article <13285@asylum.SF.CA.US> sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) writes:
> >I'm working on a story for Unix World about LAN Manager/X, or LAN
> >Manager for Unix.  How many implementations of it are there?  Is
> >anybody actually using it?  I'd be interested in hearing from users or
> >vendors.  ... [rest deleted] ...
>
> I use it every day.  I use LM/X (by Hewlett-Packard) on my HP 9000/375
[rest deleted]

Also, AT&T has a Unix based Lan Manager product called StarGROUP 3.3 and 3.4.
This version works fairly well, though I am still learning some of its
'features'.  They have support for Unix Servers and DOS, half an operating
system (OS/2), and Macintosh (w/ 3.4).

We are just migrating toward using it.  We have a "test" 3.3 server up.  We
are installing two LANs based on it now and have three more that will arrive
around the first of Feburary.

By the By, I work for the University of Louisville, Computing &
Telecommunications Department in LAN support.  Our "news" has been down for a
while so I am posting it from here.

Rob Miracle

--
##   Rob Miracle     ## Call DISK (Multi-User Unix)   (502) 968-5401   1200-8N1
##   rob@disk.uucp   ## Available through Starlink!   Louisville, KY   24 Hours

"Egos are for those who need a mental crutch."  -- Anton Devious

martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) (01/28/91)

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) writes:

>I'm working on a story for Unix World about LAN Manager/X, or LAN
>Manager for Unix.  How many implementations of it are there?  Is
>anybody actually using it?  I'd be interested in hearing from users or
>vendors.  For now, I'd like to ask people to email me or post, rather
>than call, because I don't have a firm assignment yet; I need to do a
>little research and then do a proposal.  Thanks...

So far as I am aware, there are a number of players committed to LM/X, but
rather fewer shipping. Hewlett-Packard have implementations for their 9000
series, and I believe for SCO Unix. SCO have pledged a native implementation
for Q191, and already ship the client side as part of their Open Desktop
system (LM/X is a part of the ODT spec.). Data General, Altos, and NCR have
all stated that they will have LM/X in their portfolio, but I have no info
as to when, although I understand that most implementations are planned to
appear this year.

For any one looking for a good reference on the LM/X system, I strongly
recommend reading chapter 8 of Unix Networking (Kochan & Wood - Hayden Books).
This goes into some depth on the history and structure of LM/X, including
a description of the ESMB structure. You also get discussions on UUCP, TCP/IP,
RFS, NFS, X, News and god knows what else, but that can be considered incidental

to this posting........

As to usage, whilst we don't actually use LM/X in the normal course of business,
we did test the SCO client against 3Com's Lan Manager. This used the 3Com
RFC NetBIOS protocol interface, as SCO don't yet ship NetBEUI/DLC support,
and it did work within certain limitations (we couldn't get it to run over
bridges, as there are no datagram forwarding or name service handlers with
either SCO or 3Com at this time - see RFC1001 for more details, or mail me
and I'll post a summary).

If other people have more info., PLEASE POST! I need more info too....

Martin

--
DISCLAIMER: All My Own Work (Unless stated otherwise)
Martin O'Nions            Logitek Group Support      martino@logitek.co.uk