[comp.os.os2.misc] Disabling System Keys under PM

jon@praxis.co.uk (Jon Pearson) (01/09/91)

We are interested in disabling the System Keys Alt-Tab, Alt-Esc,
Ctrl-Esc and Ctrl-Alt-Del while running a PM application.  Does
anybody have any experience of this?

Yours in anticipation,

Jon.

|Jonathan Pearson (jon)                             Telephone:  +44 225 444700|
|Praxis Systems plc                                     Telex: 445848 PRAXIS G|
|20 Manvers Street, Bath, BA1 1PX, U.K.                   Fax:  +44 225 465205|
|uunet!mcvax!ukc!praxis!jon                                   jon@praxis.co.uk|

hb@vpnet.chi.il.us (hank barta) (01/12/91)

In article <5618@newton.praxis.co.uk> jon@praxis.co.uk (Jon Pearson) writes:

>We are interested in disabling the System Keys Alt-Tab, Alt-Esc,
>Ctrl-Esc and Ctrl-Alt-Del while running a PM application.  Does
>anybody have any experience of this?

   I have need to do this also. IBM never answered and Microsoft said
   it can't be done.

   The system under development will go into an 19" rack mount and has

   hank
--

White Oak Software Inc.                 Henry Barta
0 South 258 Park                        (708) 462-6909 (voice)

jack@cscdec.cs.com (Jack Hudler) (01/23/91)

In article <1991Jan12.024029.26232@vpnet.chi.il.us> hb@vpnet.chi.il.us (hank barta) writes:
>In article <5618@newton.praxis.co.uk> jon@praxis.co.uk (Jon Pearson) writes:
>>
>>We are interested in disabling the System Keys Alt-Tab, Alt-Esc,
>>Ctrl-Esc and Ctrl-Alt-Del while running a PM application.  Does
>>anybody have any experience of this?
>
>   The system under development will go into an 19" rack mount and has

Why don't you make a little piece out of plastic that teter-toters between
the control and alt key, this way only one can be pressed at a time.
--
Jack           Computer Support Corporation             Dallas,Texas
Hudler         Internet: jack@cscdec.cs.com

pww@bnr.ca (Peter Whittaker) (01/29/91)

In article <1991Jan12.024029.26232@vpnet.chi.il.us> hb@vpnet.chi.il.us (hank barta) writes:
>In article <5618@newton.praxis.co.uk> jon@praxis.co.uk (Jon Pearson) writes:
>>
>>We are interested in disabling the System Keys Alt-Tab, Alt-Esc,
>>Ctrl-Esc and Ctrl-Alt-Del while running a PM application.  Does
>>anybody have any experience of this?
>
>   I have need to do this also. IBM never answered and Microsoft said
>   it can't be done.

Okay, I know it's not worth much, but *yes*, it can be done.
I used to work for IBM and had (internally developed and internally used)
software for my PS/2 Mod 80 that would trap (though I'm not sure this is
what you want to do) all keystrokes - it was a PM screen locker.

The only technical detail I can give you (knowledge restriction, not
security restriction) is that the application existed 'below' all process
threads - it was a window manager, so it had to have access to everything.

Please, no flames to me (or email at all, thank you) about IBM's inane
and idiotic idea to not market all the nifty toys it develops internally.
I know the reasons, and they aren't good ones.

And for Pete's sake (so to speak), don't assume that BNR would ever pay me
to speak for them........

--
Peter Whittaker      [~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~]   Open Systems Integration
pww@bnr.ca           [                          ]   Bell Northern Research