[comp.os.os2.misc] GIF resolution

GARY@MAINE.BITNET (Gary Lagasse) (01/29/91)

I am running OS/2 EE 1.2 on a PS/2 70.  The monitor is an 8515 and I have an
8514/A adaptor installed.  OS/2 knows about and uses the high res capabilty
of the monitor.  My problem is viewing GIF or BMP files.  The resolution leaves
much to be desired.  I know I am not getting what the hardware is capable
of because I can boot MSDOS and run WINDOWS 3 and view GIFs that are very
sharp. I know very little about the hardware.  I don't know if the problem I
I am experiencing is a result of an improper OS/2 installation, a bad config
setting or the user of program(s) that do not exploit the hardware.  Can
anyone help?

BTW, the software I have been using:

  On OS/2:  VIEWGIF (from LISTSERV archives at BLEKUL11)
            OS2GIF  (               "                  )
            DESKPIC (               "                  )

  On MSDOS: WINGIF  (From cica.cics.indiana.edu)

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (01/31/91)

In article <91028.214441GARY@MAINE.BITNET>, GARY@MAINE.BITNET (Gary Lagasse) writes:
> I am running OS/2 EE 1.2 on a PS/2 70.  The monitor is an 8515 and I have an
> 8514/A adaptor installed.  OS/2 knows about and uses the high res capabilty
> of the monitor.  My problem is viewing GIF or BMP files.  The resolution leaves
> much to be desired.
   ... stuff deleted.

The best GIF viewer I am aware of is that PMGIF program written by an italian,
in terms of resolution & ability to handle colours.  I found it on the os/2
shareware BBS in Virginia (703-385-4325).  It does 256 colours & can handle
as large an image as you can throw at it.  It also can size the image to fit
your window, rather than just providing scroll bars.  It is painfully slow.

For 16-colour images, you should check out the PMGIF program which you can
get by anonymous ftp from mbcl.rutgers.edu; it's much faster than the
italian one.