[comp.os.os2.misc] Microsoft Drops OS/2

rdominy@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov (Robert Dominy) (01/30/91)

Might as well shut down this board...

An article in the Wall Street Journal (1/28/91) announced that
Microsoft has officially dropped development of OS/2 in favor of
windows.

Tough luck!

-------------------------------
Robert Dominy
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

ross@cattell.psych.upenn.edu (Ross Porter) (01/30/91)

>WSJ (1/28/91) announced that MS has dropped development of OS/2.

MS immediately denied this (Compuserve's On-line Today).
They do have a news conference scheduled for today though.

Ross
ross@cattell.psych.upenn.edu

ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (01/30/91)

In article <2785@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> rdominy@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov (Robert Dominy) writes:
>Might as well shut down this board...
>
>An article in the Wall Street Journal (1/28/91) announced that
>Microsoft has officially dropped development of OS/2 in favor of
>windows.

Their reporter appears to have heard, just a tad late, the news of last
October's IBM/Microsoft reallocation of responsibilities. The word on
Compuserv is that Microsoft have already issued a statement categorically
denying the WSJ article.  I haven't seen the statement, but I'll be looking
for it.

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116

arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu (David Arasmith) (01/30/91)

In article <2785@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> rdominy@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov (Robert Dominy) writes:
>Might as well shut down this board...
>
>An article in the Wall Street Journal (1/28/91) announced that
>Microsoft has officially dropped development of OS/2 in favor of
>windows.
>
>Tough luck!
>
>-------------------------------
>Robert Dominy
>NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

Can this really be true?

I'm not a Wall Street Journal guy.  What section, what page?
Can they be serious? (Microsoft, that is)

Have they conceded to the DOS users who don't know HOW to multitask
the UNIX users who can already do it and don't want to change, and the
mainframers who would like to keep their jobs?

What about the small companies who, courted by Microsoft to develop for
OS/2, are left holding (semi)dead products?  Will they be satisfied
by crippling their products for Windows?

Please take no offense at the above statements, they are not intended
to provoke.

Any comments?

--
David M. Arasmith   |  arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu	        Internet
Emory University    |  {sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!arasmith	UUCP

cfor@ciba-geigy.ch (Rainer Foeppl) (01/31/91)

hello
i have a letter from ibm on my desk that states that :

microsoft will continue and be responsible for the development of dos and
windows.

ibm will continue and be responsible for the development of os/2 (16bit and
32bit).

so the statement in the wallstreet - journal should only be the implementation
of the partnership between ibm and microsoft....

regards
rainer

--
Rainer Foeppl
email: cfor@ciba-geigy.ch

objtch@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (Peter Goodall) (02/01/91)

arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu (David Arasmith) writes:

>In article <2785@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> rdominy@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov (Robert Dominy) writes:
>>Might as well shut down this board...
>>
>>An article in the Wall Street Journal (1/28/91) announced that
>>Microsoft has officially dropped development of OS/2 in favor of
>>windows.
>>
>>Tough luck!
>>
>>-------------------------------
>>Robert Dominy
>>NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

>Can this really be true?

>I'm not a Wall Street Journal guy.  What section, what page?
>Can they be serious? (Microsoft, that is)

>Have they conceded to the DOS users who don't know HOW to multitask
>the UNIX users who can already do it and don't want to change, and the
>mainframers who would like to keep their jobs?

>What about the small companies who, courted by Microsoft to develop for
>OS/2, are left holding (semi)dead products?  Will they be satisfied
>by crippling their products for Windows?

>Please take no offense at the above statements, they are not intended
>to provoke.

>Any comments?

>--
>David M. Arasmith   |  arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu	        Internet
>Emory University    |  {sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!arasmith	UUCP
>Dept of Math and CS |
>Atlanta, GA 30322   |  I should be working!  Gee....I wonder what's on TV?

Hey! what's happening here. Any followup from people at Microsoft? They
better improve windows a lot, or get rid of the DOS base.

----------------------------
Peter Goodall

Smalltalk Systems Consultant
ObjecTech P/L
162 Burns Bay Rd,
LANE COVE , NSW, AUSTRALIA
objtch@extro.ucc.su.oz.au

rdominy@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov (Robert Dominy) (02/02/91)

Dominy) writes:
> An article in the Wall Street Journal (1/28/91) announced that
> Microsoft has officially dropped development of OS/2 in favor of
> windows.

The above article appeared in section B, front page of the 1/28
Wall Street Journal.  The next day, another article appeared in
the same section (page 8, I believe) which had further comments
from Microsoft in which they claimed that they weren't actually
halting development of OS/2, but that they would focus on Windows
as their primary/central applications environment.  OS/2 would
be continued to be developed as an "alternative" operating system.