[comp.os.os2.misc] Is OS/2 dead? *** No Way ***

brian@NCoast.ORG (Brian Keith Gaiser) (02/02/91)

In article <4993@lure.latrobe.edu.au> CCMK@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Mark Kosten - Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni.) writes:
>eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>>My local all-news station just carried an announcement from Microsoft that it
>>is terminating its OS/2 development program in order to concentrate on its
>>Windows product.
>>
>>No details or followup were added.  However, several things are instantly
>>obvious.
>>
>>One is that OS/2 is now effectively dead.  Sure, IBM is still working on it ---
       I'm from an IBM mainframe environment.  All major Enterprise Wide
       IBM strategy is based on OS/2.

           - System View
           - Office Vision
           - Easel
           - CICS OS/2
           - Imaging

             etc.   IBM has now taken the last part of DEVELOPMENT from
                    microsoft.

 also :

>I'm not a Wall Street Journal guy.  What section, what page?
>Can they be serious? (Microsoft, that is)
>
>Have they conceded to the DOS users who don't know HOW to multitask
>the UNIX users who can already do it and don't want to change, and the
>mainframers who would like to keep their jobs?
>
>What about the small companies who, courted by Microsoft to develop for
>OS/2, are left holding (semi)dead products?  Will they be satisfied
>by crippling their products for Windows?
>
>Please take no offense at the above statements, they are not intended
>to provoke.
>
>Any comments?

  Just a few comments here....

   I'm not a WSJ guy either but I'll bet the TECHNICAL staff at the

   WSJ really researched this one !  ;-)

   I have a nice rebuttal from the Gartner Group (paid service that monitors

   many aspects of computing vendors)  Gartner says that this announcement

   was a "missinterpretation" and a bad "rumore".  They went on to say that

   "... OS/2 is not dead...".

    I have even heard that there was a follow-up article in WSJ the next

    day that blew the first one away.

     Just a note to the guys at WSJ with the neck ties that are on a

     little too tight:  loosen up, watch how your article headings read,

     leave the tech writting to PC Magazine (focus on stocks guys!),

     and remember,  if articles like this keep up , it won't be OS/2 that

     gets SCRAPPED !

| Brian Gaiser   216/292-0400   |
|                   x3471       |

--