[comp.os.os2.misc] Death of OS/2?

ajayshah@alhena.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (02/04/91)

In article <2467@beguine.UUCP> Gerben.Wierda@samba.acs.unc.edu (Gerben Wierda) writes:

>Two reports I have seen so far on Microsoft "dropping" OS/2. Someone over
>here told me that they were *not* dropping OS/2, but they*are* dropping
>the Presentation Manager and are taking the Windows interface instead.
>They also told me that Microsoft just invested $10M in OS/2 Lan Manager...
>
>So, does anyone has something that is more than rumour (NeXT telling that
>Microsoft quits OS/2) but fact (Microsoft telling it quits OS/2)?

Microsoft knows OS/2 is a disaster and is definitely not doing
any more 386-assembly work on OS/2.  Work on OS/2 in C is also on
back burner; the major software efforts are on Windows 3 and it's
children.  IBM is continuing work on OS/2 in 386-assembly; there
is some news about IBM-Novell deals on that front.

Many vendors have stuck their necks out by doing products for
OS/2 (especially database and LAN types) so everyone is being
discreet about it.

-------Start_of_Speculation----------

In the long run, I suppose Microsoft understands Intel processors
are a dead end and would want to migrate to SPARC/MIPS/88k.  The
only way to do that is to rewrite in C.  The best they can hope
for in that project is 100% source compatibility between Windows 4
applications and OS/2 written in C for (say) SPARC.  I assume
that will be their target next.

Unix grew up over more than a decade, using the best minds of
Bell Labs, UCBerkeley and Sun Microsystems.  In my understanding,
the quality of people at Microsoft is not good enough to do a
good OS -- starting from scratch in C -- within a few years.
They're good at writing word processors, Bill Gates knows how to
write a Basic Interpreter.  Writing an OS is a different kettle
of fish!

Hence, personally, I consider that line of thought to be a
dead-end.  I'm more interested in the way SysVR4 will evolve esp.
in the influence of Mach (multiprocessing dreams).

All this is my understanding, not fact.

Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.