[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 Apps

tracy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Phil Tracy) (02/12/91)

Well, since someone brought up OS/2 apps in use, here's my $.02

Word Perfect 5.0 is out for OS/2, and DOS users won't be able to tell the
difference between it and its DOS cousin.  Yes, it's character-based, but
I have heard murmurings about WordPerfect coming out with a real PM app.

SPSS has done what appears to be a VERY nice job on SPSSx for OS/2; I say
appears because I'm not a heavy user--I support mostly beginning SPSS
users.

Has anyone mentioned Lotus 1-2-3 G?  It looks and feels very nice, although
it's about 3 times slower than Excel.

And well, I hate to admit it at last, but I've grown rather fond of REXX.
Yes, I know, it's not C++, but for a network administrator who has a
good deal of housekeeping to do on a server, it's a hell of an improvement
over DOS batch files (even with Norton Batch Enhancer).

--
Phillip Tracy
Northwestern University

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (02/14/91)

In article <3428@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, tracy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Phil Tracy) writes:
> Well, since someone brought up OS/2 apps in use, here's my $.02
>
> Word Perfect 5.0 is out for OS/2, and DOS users won't be able to tell the
> difference between it and its DOS cousin.  Yes, it's character-based, but
> I have heard murmurings about WordPerfect coming out with a real PM app.

	Yes, WP 5.0 under OS/2 is fine.  Of course, it doesn't have the
nifty features (table & equation editor) of 5.1/DOS.  The real problem
is that last summer, at the start of the Windows bandwagon, WP pulled
all their PM developers and put them on the Windows package.  I phoned
WP last week, and they said that WP 5.1 for OS/2 PM is now delayed to
3rd or 4th Q 1991.  As the Windows WP has now slipped to 2Q 1991, I guess
that means 1992 for the PM version.  I think WP really blew this one.  Their
decision last summer means they'll be last with a Windows word processor
AND last with a PM wordprocessor.  NOT smart (imho).

	The other problem is a decent draw program.  Designer for OS/2 PM
is no good: very buggy and VERY slow.  Does anyone know what Corel Draw
for OS/2 PM is like?

		Adrian
--
Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX

jwohl@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Jeremy Wohl) (02/15/91)

In article <305.27b97b7f@mbcl.rutgers.edu> goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu writes:
>In article <3428@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, tracy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Phil Tracy) writes:
>> Well, since someone brought up OS/2 apps in use, here's my $.02
> [...]
>	The other problem is a decent draw program.  Designer for OS/2 PM
>is no good: very buggy and VERY slow.  Does anyone know what Corel Draw
>for OS/2 PM is like?

Yea.  Just like Designer: another Windows porting kit (I forget the name)
failure.
--
Jeremy Wohl / wohl@max.physics.sunysb.edu / jwohl@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu

jack@cscdec.cs.com (Jack Hudler) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb14.222536.343@sbcs.sunysb.edu> jwohl@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Jeremy Wohl) writes:
>In article <305.27b97b7f@mbcl.rutgers.edu> goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu writes:
>>In article <3428@casbah.acns.nwu.edu>, tracy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Phil Tracy) writes:
>>> Well, since someone brought up OS/2 apps in use, here's my $.02
>> [...]
>>	The other problem is a decent draw program.  Designer for OS/2 PM
>>is no good: very buggy and VERY slow.  Does anyone know what Corel Draw
>>for OS/2 PM is like?
>
>Yea.  Just like Designer: another Windows porting kit (I forget the name)
>failure.

Last time I heard they were shipping, we have Designer for OS/2 it uses
there MIRROR's porting kit. Looks like S%^&. But then again I could be biased.
We are shipping OS/2 PM Version of Arts&Letters Composer 1.3 as of last week.
It's a drawing program that manipulates our symbol library containing thousands
of pre-drawn artwork and dozens of typefaces. It's a good adjunct to DeScribe,
PageMaker, or Ventura Publisher. And you can even get you questions answered
via email if you like! (begining to sound like a sales pitch)

--
Jack           Computer Support Corporation             Dallas,Texas
Hudler         Internet: jack@cscdec.cs.com