[comp.os.os2.misc] Logitech Modula-2

GD.SAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Sandy Rockowitz) (02/19/91)

In a recent article, Allan MacKinnon Jr. (mondomon@athena.mit.edu) writes:

> And one more thing, does anyone use Modula-2 under OS/2. If so, what
> compiler - JPI, StonyBrook... ?

I've been using Logitech's Modula-2 compiler for OS/2.  The compiler
gets the job done, but it's somewhat quirky. To wit:

1) Command line arguments are parsed rather strangely.  If you feed
it a line containing multiple blanks, this is interpreted as
requesting multiple invocations of the compiler without an input
file name, so you are prompted for an input file name as many times
as there are blanks in the compiler command line.

2) To get around problem (1), I wrote a Rexx exec to invoke the
compiler, and which squeezes unnecessary blanks out of the command
line.  Most of the time this exec works fine.  Occasionally, the
exec fails at completion with a message from OS/2 stating something
like:
 -Internal CMD error.  Null environment.
At other times, the exec fails and the full-screen session or window
is terminated.  I suspect that the compiler is doing something
non-standard to manipulate its environment, which is confusing OS/2,
but it may be an OS/2 bug.  (I'm currently using EE 1.2.  I look
forward to seeing if this problem clears up in 1.3.)

3) The DEF files reflect the OS/2 1.1 API, so you'll have to write
your own for 1.2 functions.   I've also encountered incorrect
definitions of some API functions.

On the positive side, Logitech technical support has been a
pleasure to deal with.  The people are knowlegable, and you won't
fall asleep on hold waiting to talk with them.

Logitech is about to release new versions of both their DOS and
OS/2 compilers, as well as the Multiscope debuggers.  As I
understand it, at least the OS/2 compiler will be essentially a
repackaging of the Stonybrook compiler.  April is the date I've
most often heard.

Sanford Rockowitz
GD.SAR@FORSYTHE.STANFORD.EDU