[comp.os.os2.misc] OS/2 and its future....

mondomon@athena.mit.edu (Allan S. MacKinnon Jr.) (02/19/91)

Have there been any more favorable reviews of OS/2 SE 1.3 besides the
one in BYTE?  It was a little skimpy, but it was the first time I can
remember an unnasty review of OS/2 (besides 2.0).

Does anyone have some stats on how many active OS/2 users there are?
And how does this compare to Windows 3.0?  1:4? 1:5?

And one more thing, does anyone use Modula-2 under OS/2. If so, what
compiler - JPI, StonyBrook... ?

						Thanks a million,

						Allan MacKinnon

d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se (Mikael Wahlgren) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb18.194514.7586@athena.mit.edu> mondomon@athena.mit.edu (Allan S. MacKinnon Jr.) writes:

>And one more thing, does anyone use Modula-2 under OS/2. If so, what
>compiler - JPI, StonyBrook... ?

I use the JPI TopSpeed Modula-2 (revision 2) which I am extremely satisfied
with.

Mikael Wahlgren      d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (02/19/91)

Mikael Wahlgren <d9mikael@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:
> I use the JPI TopSpeed Modula-2 (revision 2) which I am extremely satisfied
> with.

Also, I have used Logitech Modula-2 and MultiScope extensively.  I will
say that I was quite unhappy with the stability of the product, with the
quality of the documentation and with the expertise of the support.  If
you want Modula-2, don't buy Logitech.

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

jwohl@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Jeremy Wohl) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb18.194514.7586@athena.mit.edu> mondomon@athena.mit.edu (Allan S. MacKinnon Jr.) writes:
>Does anyone have some stats on how many active OS/2 users there are?
>And how does this compare to Windows 3.0?  1:4? 1:5?

300,000 (or so) as of middle of '90 (this from IBM Developer's journal).
They said then that they wanted a million or a million more (I'm not sure
which) users for '91.

--
Jeremy Wohl / wohl@max.physics.sunysb.edu / jwohl@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu

conrad@cavebbs.gen.nz (Conrad Bullock) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb18.194514.7586@athena.mit.edu> mondomon@athena.mit.edu (Allan S. MacKinnon Jr.) writes:
>And one more thing, does anyone use Modula-2 under OS/2. If so, what
>compiler - JPI, StonyBrook... ?

I use Logitech Modula-2 v1.3w at work, and Stonybrook V2.1 at home -
they're both pretty good, but the Stonybrook compiler produces the
better code, while I prefer the Logitech tools.

The next version of Logitech's compiler (due a couple of months ago),
is apparently a licenced version of Stonybrook's compiler, supplied
with Logitech libraries and tools.

Oops, sorry, Logitech's compiler/debugger etc is made by Multiscope
Inc (a Logitech company) now.
--
Conrad Bullock,                Domain: conrad@cavebbs.gen.nz
The Cave MegaBBS,              BBS Ph: + 64 4 643-429

Conrad.Bullock@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Conrad Bullock) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb19.150300.9323@watserv1.waterloo.edu>,
tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
|> Also, I have used Logitech Modula-2 and MultiScope extensively.  I will
|> say that I was quite unhappy with the stability of the product, with the
|> quality of the documentation and with the expertise of the support.  If
|> you want Modula-2, don't buy Logitech.

I must disagree there - we found some problems in Logitech's compiler,
but when we reported them, they were fixed, and we were sent updates
(free - couriered to New Zealand). We are currently running V1.3w of the
compiler, and it is very stable. We've never had a protection violation
or any bad code with this version, and we've found Logitech's (and now
Multiscope's) support very good.
--
Conrad Bullock                     | Domain:   conrad@comp.vuw.ac.nz
Victoria University of Wellington, |     or:   conrad@actrix.co.nz