[comp.os.os2.misc] Moving OS2 to HPFS after installation?

jpk@davasun.data.nokia.fi (JP Koivisto) (02/15/91)

I installed OS2 1.121 on the FAT drive C:.

Then I made a HPFS partition of F: (size 121 MB) after
which I copied (with the FileManager, actually) to WHOLE
C:\OS2 tree to F:\OS2 AND changed the relevant parts in
CONFIG.SYS to point to the new location(s) on F: (LIBPATH,PATH,DPATH,etc)

I seemed so easy, BUT when I tried to boot, OS/2 complained just
about EVERYTHING.

Couldn't find "F:\OS2\KEYBOARD.DCP" (or VIOTBL.DCP).  Fixed by changing
the CONFIG.SYS to get them from C:\OS2.
Then it couldn't find MSG.DLL, etc...

I added ';C:\OS2\DLL' to END of the LIBPATH and it started working
but when I tried deleting the files in C:\OS2\DLL it always said some
files where in use ALTHOUGH the same files exist in F:\OS2\DLL
WHICH IS BEFORE C:\OS2\DLL in LIBPATH!
However, also some files in F:\OS2\DLL where in use...

I wonder what I did wrong ?  (I just thought: I used the C:\OS2
                              versions of OS2.INI & OS2SYS.INI all the time!)

How does OS/2 boot when the ONLY partition is HPFS ?
From where does it get the HPFS.IFS in that case...?

jpk	- JP Koivisto, Nokia Data OY, Finland
---
EMail:	jpk@davasun.data.nokia.fi

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb15.092956.20444@davasun.data.nokia.fi>, jpk@davasun.data.nokia.fi (JP Koivisto) writes:
> I installed OS2 1.121 on the FAT drive C:.
>
> Then I made a HPFS partition of F: (size 121 MB) after
> which I copied (with the FileManager, actually) to WHOLE
> C:\OS2 tree to F:\OS2 AND changed the relevant parts in
> CONFIG.SYS to point to the new location(s) on F: (LIBPATH,PATH,DPATH,etc)
>
> I seemed so easy, BUT when I tried to boot, OS/2 complained just
> about EVERYTHING.
>
> Couldn't find "F:\OS2\KEYBOARD.DCP" (or VIOTBL.DCP).  Fixed by changing
> the CONFIG.SYS to get them from C:\OS2.
> Then it couldn't find MSG.DLL, etc...
>
> I added ';C:\OS2\DLL' to END of the LIBPATH and it started working
> but when I tried deleting the files in C:\OS2\DLL it always said some
> files where in use ALTHOUGH the same files exist in F:\OS2\DLL
> WHICH IS BEFORE C:\OS2\DLL in LIBPATH!
> However, also some files in F:\OS2\DLL where in use...
>
> I wonder what I did wrong ?  (I just thought: I used the C:\OS2
>                               versions of OS2.INI & OS2SYS.INI all the time!)
>
> How does OS/2 boot when the ONLY partition is HPFS ?
> From where does it get the HPFS.IFS in that case...?

My two cents:  If you want to delete the files on the FAT drive C:, boot
under DOS.  (Actually, I would just RENAME them, in case you need to get them
back.)

		Adrian
--
Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX

seg@ingres.com (scott e garfinkle) (02/19/91)

In article <1991Feb15.092956.20444@davasun.data.nokia.fi> jpk@davasun.data.nokia.fi writes:
>I wonder what I did wrong ?  (I just thought: I used the C:\OS2
>                              versions of OS2.INI & OS2SYS.INI all the time!)
That's going to be the problem.  Also, make sure that you change all resources
of the various PM apps in OS2.INI to reflect their new locations.  A .ini
editing tool (of which there are several on BBSes) is very helpful here.
	-Scott E. Garfinkle
Standard Disclaimer

joeb@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Joe Barnhart) (02/21/91)

In comp.os.os2.misc, jpk@davasun.data.nokia.fi (JP Koivisto) writes:

    I added ';C:\OS2\DLL' to END of the LIBPATH and it started working
    but when I tried deleting the files in C:\OS2\DLL it always said some
    files where in use ALTHOUGH the same files exist in F:\OS2\DLL
    WHICH IS BEFORE C:\OS2\DLL in LIBPATH!

Unfortunately, when OS/2 boots up, there are some files which MUST be
located on the boot drive.  It doesn't matter that the files are also
on your HPFS drive.

When I had a hybrid DOS/OS2 system, I did the following to determine which
files could be moved to the HPFS partition and which files had to remain on
the boot disk: (1) I copied the entire OS/2 directory structure to the
HPFS drive, (2) I erased all the files from the DLL directory on the boot
drive, while running OS/2.  Of course, OS/2 wouldn't erase any file it was
actually using, so the files remaining were those which couldn't be moved
to the HPFS partition.  (Actually, there was a step 2a, where I rewrote my
CONFIG.SYS file to point to the HPFS partition and rebooted the machine.)

    How does OS/2 boot when the ONLY partition is HPFS ?
    From where does it get the HPFS.IFS in that case...?

Actually, this works MUCH better.  I now use the utility posted here a while
back called BOOTANY.ZOO.  I now have a smallish (~20M) HPFS partition for
booting OS/2, and the rest of my hard disk is divided into several FAT and
HPFS partitions.  For DOS, I have another smallish (~20M) FAT partition.
The OS/2 and DOS partitions are mutually exclusive -- you can't see the
"foreign" boot partition while running either DOS or OS/2.

-- Joe B.

#include <standard.disclaimers>

gregj@microsoft.UUCP (Greg JONES) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb15.092956.20444@davasun.data.nokia.fi>, jpk@davasun.data.nokia.fi (JP Koivisto) writes:
> I installed OS2 1.121 on the FAT drive C:.
>
> Then I made a HPFS partition of F: (size 121 MB) after
> which I copied (with the FileManager, actually) to WHOLE
> C:\OS2 tree to F:\OS2 AND changed the relevant parts in
> CONFIG.SYS to point to the new location(s) on F: (LIBPATH,PATH,DPATH,etc)
>
> I seemed so easy, BUT when I tried to boot, OS/2 complained just
> about EVERYTHING.
>
> Couldn't find "F:\OS2\KEYBOARD.DCP" (or VIOTBL.DCP).  Fixed by changing
> the CONFIG.SYS to get them from C:\OS2.
> Then it couldn't find MSG.DLL, etc...
>
> How does OS/2 boot when the ONLY partition is HPFS ?

The basic problem here is that OS/2 doesn't know how to find
files on a non-FAT partition until the FSD for that filesystem
has been loaded.  To load an FSD requires that many of the base
DLLs (DOSCALL1, VIOCALLS, etc.) be loaded, since the FSD may
need to display messages, etc. at load time.

When you boot from an HPFS partition, you have an extra system
file named OS2BOOT, which is a "miniature" version of the full
HPFS driver.  Since this mini-FSD knows how to find files on
HPFS drives, OS/2 can access any files at any time.  When you
boot from a FAT drive, the mini-FSD is not loaded, so OS/2 can't
get at files on any non-FAT drives until HPFS.IFS is loaded.

To get your system running the way you want, you can:

1) Reinstall with drive C as HPFS.  About all you'll need on
drive C then are the base device drivers (BASEDD01.SYS, and
a few other files).  Any DLLs, and any files referenced by
CONFIG.SYS, can be on HPFS partitions.

2) Keep on drive C (or any other FAT partition) the base OS/2
files.  This includes any .DCP files, *CALL*.DLL, BVH*.DLL,
MSG.DLL, NAMPIPES.DLL, NLS.DLL, OS2SM.DLL, SESMGR.DLL, COUNTRY.SYS,
any device drivers that load before HPFS.IFS, etc.  I think that's
all of the files (it's been a while since I tried this).  That's
certainly most of them.  I do know that any PM DLLs and executables
can be safely moved to a different drive, since PM loads after all
device drivers and file system drivers.  The swap file (SWAPPATH
in CONFIG.SYS) is another good candidate for moving to a different
drive.

Hope this helps.

uunet!microsof!gregj
Greg Jones, MS network development
[I just happen to work here.  Sheer coincidence.]