[comp.os.os2.misc] IBM & OS/2 Educational Discounts???

mondomon@athena.mit.edu (Allan S. MacKinnon Jr.) (02/19/91)

Where is the best place (read: cheapest) to buy OS/2 SE 1.3???  The
Microcomputer Center where I am doesn't even carry OS/2, and I doubt
buying it straight from IBM for would be a good idea unless there was
an educational discount.

Now that IBM is handling more of OS/2 development, where do new PM
Toolkit packages come from - surely not Microsoft?

					-Allan MacKinnon

schafer@devils.rice.edu (Richard Alan Schafer) (02/19/91)

The standard IBM National Education Price for OS/2 is a 40% discount
from list price, like it is for a lot of their micro software.  That
only applies in the US, of course.  I have no idea what pricing schedules
IBM uses for educational institutions outside the US.

Richard

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb19.044229.24938@athena.mit.edu>, mondomon@athena.mit.edu (Allan S. MacKinnon Jr.) writes:
> Now that IBM is handling more of OS/2 development, where do new PM
> Toolkit packages come from - surely not Microsoft?

IBM have always supplied a PM toolkit. I can't give US prices, but the UK ones
are as follows. I suspect that if you substitute $ for pounds you won't be
far wrong.

      MS PM Toolkit                350
      MS device driver toolkit     350

      IBM Programming Tools and Information    550

The IBM kit contains both of the MS bits, and has a few things the MS kit
doesn't have (so I'm told). It has so far been upgraded FREE - MS want money
for upgrades! I also understand the MS kit might have the odd thing that isn't
in the IBM stuff.

I have the MS PM kit but wanted device driver stuff. After discounts, I'm
getting the IBM kit for a good price not much greater than I would have paid
for the device driver kit. If you want, I'll let you know how I get on.

I was advised by Ray Duncan that you need both the IBM and the MS kits to cover
everything, but that either would do. Given IBM's greater commitment I think
I'll stick with them.
Bob Eager                | University of Kent at Canterbury

roelofs@nas.nasa.gov (Cave Newt) (02/21/91)

schafer@devils.rice.edu (Richard Alan Schafer) writes:

>The standard IBM National Education Price for OS/2 is a 40% discount
>from list price, like it is for a lot of their micro software.  That
>only applies in the US, of course.  I have no idea what pricing schedules
>IBM uses for educational institutions outside the US.

Are you certain about this?  U Chicago quoted me $153 on 3.5" 1.3, and
that's closer to 40% OF list price (assuming the $340 quoted by PC Mag is
accurate).  I haven't actually bought it yet, so it's possible the guy
gave me an incorrect price...

Greg