[comp.os.os2.misc] How many copies of OS/2 out there?

klimas@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb19.174709.3381@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, jwohl@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Jeremy Wohl) writes:
> In article <1991Feb18.194514.7586@athena.mit.edu> mondomon@athena.mit.edu (Allan S. MacKinnon Jr.) writes:
>>Does anyone have some stats on how many active OS/2 users there are?
>>And how does this compare to Windows 3.0?  1:4? 1:5?
>
> 300,000 (or so) as of middle of '90 (this from IBM Developer's journal).
> They said then that they wanted a million or a million more (I'm not sure
> which) users for '91.
	Back around the end of summer 90, I read a trade rag that quoted
	Bill Gates saying they had sold about 500,000 copies of OS/2.  There
	have been some verbal comments made to me recently indicating 800,000
	but I haven't tracked it down to a source yet.  How about an official
	figure?

jwohl@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Jeremy Wohl) (02/22/91)

In article <3350.27c299ee@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> klimas@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com writes:
>In article <1991Feb19.174709.3381@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, jwohl@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Jeremy Wohl) writes:
>> In article <1991Feb18.194514.7586@athena.mit.edu> mondomon@athena.mit.edu (Allan S. MacKinnon Jr.) writes:
>>>Does anyone have some stats on how many active OS/2 users there are?
>>>And how does this compare to Windows 3.0?  1:4? 1:5?
>>
>> 300,000 (or so) as of middle of '90 (this from IBM Developer's journal).
>> They said then that they wanted a million or a million more (I'm not sure
>> which) users for '91.
>	Back around the end of summer 90, I read a trade rag that quoted
>	Bill Gates saying they had sold about 500,000 copies of OS/2.  There
>	have been some verbal comments made to me recently indicating 800,000
>	but I haven't tracked it down to a source yet.  How about an official
>	figure?

Hmm..That would be interesting if 2/3 as many copies as IBM were sold by
other manufacturers.

--
Jeremy Wohl / wohl@max.physics.sunysb.edu / jwohl@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu