[comp.os.os2.misc] Upgrading from DOS to OS/2...

chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu (Chuck Rickard) (02/22/91)

From: chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu (Chuck Rickard)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.misc
Subject: Upgrading from DOS to OS/2...
Expires:
Having just obtained OS/2 version, I feel that I am need of upgrading my
DOS software packages to whatever OS/2 versions might be available.

I am pretty sure the following packages have OS/2 versions...

	Corel Draw 2.0 (11/90)
	MS Word for Windows 1.10
	Aldus Pagemaker 3.0

I have no idea about these titles...

	Borland Turbo C++ Professional
	Borland Turbo Pascal 5.5
	Norton Utilities 5.0
	PC Tools 6.0 & PC Tools Backup
	Microsoft Bookshelf
	TOPS Network Bundle for DOS

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Chuck Rickard
(chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu)

lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) (02/22/91)

In article <5108@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu (Chuck Rickard) writes:
[talk about OS/2 versions of programs]
>	Corel Draw 2.0 (11/90)
		I have this one.
>	MS Word for Windows 1.10
		MS Word for OS/2 is the title given in Byte
>	Aldus Pagemaker 3.0
		I'm using Ventura.

>I have no idea about these titles...
>
>	Borland Turbo C++ Professional
>	Borland Turbo Pascal 5.5
>	Norton Utilities 5.0
>	PC Tools 6.0 & PC Tools Backup
>	Microsoft Bookshelf
>	TOPS Network Bundle for DOS

I wish that PC Tools Backup (cpbackup) would even run in the DOS box.  I used
it to back up my FAT partitions before I switched to HPFS.  Are there any good
PD backup packages?  (I ordered Sytos' Sytron.)

I thought that I'd miss Norton, PC Tools and all of the other DOS utilities that
I've collected.  Recently I've realized that the File Manager and OS/2 command
line are enough for most of what I usually do.  I miss 'red' (redirect), but
I can easily redirect and even prune&graft subdirectories from File Manager.

I'm looking forward to using the ALIAS package (mtsg.ubc.ca) to create some
simple replacements for my DOS utilities.  Also, REXX seems powerful enough to
take the place of many executable (.EXE) utilities - but it does seem slow.

TOPS Network Bundle?  I'm not familiar with this.  MS seems to be packaging
a healthy dose of utilities (backup software!) with LAN Manager.  (I haven't
received my copy yet, so I'm not sure of the extent of this.)

I've made the switch.  Now I just spend my 'free' time calling up makers of
the DOS/Windows software I have purchased.  I like to shake their cages and
ask why they don't have an OS/2 version of their package yet.  Some of the

--kyler

goldman@mbcl.rutgers.edu (02/23/91)

In article <5108@umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu (Chuck Rickard) writes:

> Having just obtained OS/2 version, I feel that I am need of upgrading my
> DOS software packages to whatever OS/2 versions might be available.
>
> I am pretty sure the following packages have OS/2 versions...
.. well here's my 2 c.

> 	Corel Draw 2.0 (11/90)
   No Corel Draw 2.0.  There is a Corel Draw (1.2, I think).  It's based on
the Windows 1.x version.  Corel claims it be a true PM program (unlike, eg
Micrografx Designer, which is a piece of s....  IMHO.)  People on this
newsgroup have said that Corel Draw for PM is also based on a Windows
translation and so is also s...  I've bought it, and so will have my own
opinion in the near future.  Corel also claims to be coming out with a
2.0 version for os/2 in a few months.
> 	MS Word for Windows 1.10
> 	Aldus Pagemaker 3.0
This is supposed to be the best version of Pagemaker around.  I don't use
Pagemaker, so I don't know.

> I have no idea about these titles...
>
> 	Borland Turbo C++ Professional
> 	Borland Turbo Pascal 5.5
> 	Norton Utilities 5.0
There is a freeware, non-PM utility that is the equivalent of ncd.  It works
great in a text window, and is (I think) faster than NCD.  If you're
interested, I can put it up here for anonymous ftp.
> 	PC Tools 6.0 & PC Tools Backup
I bought Sytos plus tape & diskette backup software.  There is a ?shareware,
?freeware diskette backup package around, which looked complicated.  IMHO, one
needs tape backup software with OS/2 (& accompanying tape drive) because
otherwise one can't cope with the backups.  (At least I can't.  I refuse
to be chained to a machine for 2+ hours shoving floppies in and out!)
> 	Microsoft Bookshelf
> 	TOPS Network Bundle for DOS
Ferrrgit it.  I asked tops about this some time ago, and they indicated
ZERO interest.   I suppose it won't matter under OS2 2.0, because the
dos boxes will be multitasked, so ?you'll be able to run tops in a dos
box & use it as a means of getting to the appletalk network.

		Adrian
--
Adrian Goldman                         |  Internet:  Goldman@MBCL.Rutgers.Edu
Molecular Biology Computing Laboratory |  Bitnet:    Goldman@BioVAX

chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu (Chuck Rickard; ACS (UGRAD)) (02/24/91)

Thanks to everyone who replied to my message!

I have another question along the same lines as before:

In my system I have devices such as the Intel SatisFAXtion Board, Hitachi
CD-ROM player, and a Sound Blaster, and these devices need their respective
device drivers to run in DOS.  What do I do about using them in OS/2?
Will the old device drivers work only in the DOS box or can they be modified
to work with OS/2?

I'm new to the OS/2 world, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
(I just got my OS/2 Extended Edition 1.3 package yesterday...)

Thanks!

Chuck Rickard
(chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu)

joeb@hpnmdla.HP.COM (Joe Barnhart) (02/28/91)

In comp.os.os2.misc, chuck@umbc5.umbc.edu (Chuck Rickard) writes:

    	Corel Draw 2.0 (11/90)

Corel for PM is a warmed-over "migration kit" port of their Windows version
1.2.  The "PM" version is only for Draw itself, you still need Windows
running in the DOS box for the tracing and font utility.  When you print
a page, Corel actually locks up the computer -- it won't even let you switch
to another app during the print job.  It's slow and buggy.  In short: it
stinks.

I called the Product Manager for Draw PM.  He seemed to be familiar with
all of my complaints, and he indicated there would be a 2.0 version "this
summer."  My advice is to wait for it.

    	MS Word for Windows 1.10

This is a port from their Windows version.  It makes use of no PM features.
No threading.  Lots of hourglass cursors.  Slow.  It's like a sloppy first
draft of their Windows version.  MS continues to prove that they don't know
how to write for PM.  (Or perhaps they don't care about OS/2 supporters.)

    	Aldus Pagemaker 3.0

This is supposedly the best PM app written so far.  It makes extensive use
of threads to minimize the waiting time for operations.  I'd love to give
my personal experiences, but Aldus didn't send me the upgrade form until
their upgrade period had "expired."  They _now_ say the PM version is a
"separate product" and want to charge me full price for the PM update.

In short, great product (from what I've heard) but I can't say nice things
about their support.

-- Joe B.

#include <standard.disclaimer>

barry@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Barry Lay) (03/01/91)

Regarding PageMaker 3.0, I have used it under OS/2 and I am quite impressed.
They did a good job with the multithreading, and tries its best to give you an
arrow cursor as quickly as possible.  For example, when it is first fired up,
PageMaker brings in the user interface first so that you can read the copyright
notice and get rid of it while the rest of the program is still being loaded
in.  I think that they do things like load printer drivers and such last so
that you can get useful work done while the disk light is still solid.

This particular application makes the versions running under Windows and on the
Mac look rather sluggish.

Barry