[comp.os.os2.misc] X-Server for OS/2 Presentation Manager?

harry@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl (Harry Stox) (02/19/91)

Does anyone know of the existence of X-server products running under OS/2
(preferably PM)?

Thanks in advance for your hints,
Harry.

leo@unipalm.uucp (E.J. Leoni-Smith) (02/21/91)

harry@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl (Harry Stox) writes:

>Does anyone know of the existence of X-server products running under OS/2
>(preferably PM)?

>Thanks in advance for your hints,
>Harry.

Being commercially interested, I did the tour at Interop and other shows for
the last year.

One (1) guy at IBM is working on it.....He appears to be the only one in the
whole wide world.

Some of our suppliers said that they could do a (non PM) port in about
6-8 man weeks, if someone else would foot the bill.

PM was seen as a man year project.

My advice is to stick to mainstream products ( i.e. non IBM: -))

jwohl@csws1.ic.sunysb.edu (Jeremy Wohl) (02/23/91)

In article <1991Feb21.135047.24249@unipalm.uucp> leo@unipalm.uucp (E.J. Leoni-Smith) writes:
>harry@gem.stack.urc.tue.nl (Harry Stox) writes:
>
>>Does anyone know of the existence of X-server products running under OS/2
>>(preferably PM)?
>
>>Thanks in advance for your hints,
>>Harry.
>
>Being commercially interested, I did the tour at Interop and other shows for
>the last year.
>
>One (1) guy at IBM is working on it.....He appears to be the only one in the
>whole wide world.
>
>Some of our suppliers said that they could do a (non PM) port in about
>6-8 man weeks, if someone else would foot the bill.
>

>PM was seen as a man year project.

I disagree.  I started porting X in my spare time until I became too busy.
After a couple weeks of hacking, the only problem was the pervasive
assumption about 32-bit ints.  It affects the code in strange ways.  Other
than that, threads handle server requests real well, pixmaps map nicely
to PM bitmaps, and there were just a few anomilies in TCP/IP support
programs for OS/2 and that in the code.  BTW, this was assuming an 8-bit,
psuedocolor display (and I still don't have 8-bit color drivers for my
ATI. arghh..).  Six months tops (and this is spare time work).  Note,
though, that this is non-intelligent use of graphics calls, just default
use of bitmaps in the standard server code.  Intelligent use is another
few months.  I might begin again in a couple of months.  Isn't X11R5 due
soon?

--
Jeremy Wohl / wohl@max.physics.sunysb.edu / jwohl@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu

leo@unipalm.uucp (E.J. Leoni-Smith) (03/05/91)

jwohl@csws1.ic.sunysb.edu (Jeremy Wohl) writes:

>I disagree.  I started porting X in my spare time until I became too busy.
>After a couple weeks of hacking, the only problem was the pervasive
>assumption about 32-bit ints.  It affects the code in strange ways.  Other
>than that, threads handle server requests real well, pixmaps map nicely
>to PM bitmaps, and there were just a few anomilies in TCP/IP support
>programs for OS/2 and that in the code.  BTW, this was assuming an 8-bit,
>psuedocolor display (and I still don't have 8-bit color drivers for my
>ATI. arghh..).  Six months tops (and this is spare time work).  Note,
>though, that this is non-intelligent use of graphics calls, just default
>use of bitmaps in the standard server code.  Intelligent use is another
>few months.  I might begin again in a couple of months.  Isn't X11R5 due
>soon?

Jeremy: X11R5 is coming very soon - we rae porting it to SUNS.

If you come up with a working X server for OS/2 - let me know. We can probably
sell it for you. We just don't think it is (and neither does any other
commercial organisation that I know) a 'good return on investment'

Having said that I know a couple of bigf multinationals that would take
a few hundred copies.......until IBM brought its own out once you had
demonstrated the market :-)