[comp.os.os2.misc] Parallel Port in OS/2 1.2 or 1.3

dbl@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Lawson,,2933607,5999662) (03/15/91)

HELP!!!!

My parallel port WILL NOT work under OS/2 (any verison I have tried)
I installed the correct printer driver and DOS/BIOS like the port fine.
Also, the port is on one of these all-encompassing-cards, i.e.,
2 serial, game, clock, and parallel.  The serial ports work fine,
so does the clock, but not the LPT1:.  I am considering getting a parallel
port on a card and trying that, any suggestions??? Thanks in advance.

dave Lawson

rommel@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (03/15/91)

In article <1334@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> dbl@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Lawson,,2933607,5999662) writes:
>My parallel port WILL NOT work under OS/2 (any verison I have tried)
>I installed the correct printer driver and DOS/BIOS like the port fine.
>Also, the port is on one of these all-encompassing-cards, i.e.,
>2 serial, game, clock, and parallel.  The serial ports work fine,
>so does the clock, but not the LPT1:.  I am considering getting a parallel
>port on a card and trying that, any suggestions??? Thanks in advance.

I have noticed that some Hercules card clones (MDA cards) are
incompatible with OS/2, but not all. Have you tried only printing
through PM applications until now or have you also tried something like
"COPY <file> LPT1" ? Only if this doesn't work, your port is
incompatible to OS/2.

Kai Uwe Rommel

archer@stlvm2.vnet.ibm.com ("Gary D. Archer") (03/16/91)

Ref:  Append to OS2-MISC USENET (ARCHER) at 12:29:46 on 91/03/15

Date: 15 March 91, 08:55:37 PST
From: Gary D. Archer            8-284-6387           ARCHER   at STLVM2
      Sr. Planner DF Products- San Jose Programming Lab
      SSPD M74/098-A40  8-294-6387
      San Jose, CA
                 ** IBM Confidential **
To:   USENET   at ALMADEN

Re:   Parallel Port in OS/2 1.2 or 1.3
Ref:  Your append to OS2-MISC USENET (ARCHER) at 12:29:46 on 91/03/15

Your parallel port needs to support IRQ7.  Some clone ports are shipped
with the IRQ disabled.  OS/2 needs the interrupt to allow the SPOOLER
to work.  I had this problem with my serial/parallial/IDE combo card, in
that I'd get LPT1 failures until I enabled the IRQ.
Gary

gah@hood.hood.caltech.edu (Glen Herrmannsfeldt) (03/16/91)

dbl@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Lawson,,2933607,5999662) writes:

>HELP!!!!

>My parallel port WILL NOT work under OS/2 (any verison I have tried)
>I installed the correct printer driver and DOS/BIOS like the port fine.
>Also, the port is on one of these all-encompassing-cards, i.e.,
>2 serial, game, clock, and parallel.  The serial ports work fine,
>so does the clock, but not the LPT1:.  I am considering getting a parallel
>port on a card and trying that, any suggestions??? Thanks in advance.

>dave Lawson

I believe that OS/2, unlike DOS, runs the parallel (and serial) port
interrupt driven.  If the port does not have an interrupt line
connected, then it will probably work with DOS and not OS/2.

Now, it really should, because the IBM PC, which it should be
compatible with, does.  Then again, it may be jumper selected.

ballard@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Alan Ballard) (03/17/91)

In article <gah.669092867@hood> gah@hood.hood.caltech.edu (Glen Herrmannsfeldt) writes:
>... If the port does not have an interrupt line
>connected, then it will probably work with DOS and not OS/2.
>Now, it really should, because the IBM PC, which it should be
>compatible with, does.  Then again, it may be jumper selected.

The earliest PC's had a design flaw in the interrupt design of the parallel
port, such that it didn't work reliably.  I think this was corrected around
the time of the AT, but some clone manufacturers may have continued to the
original spec's.  Don't remember any details, but I think it had to
do with working with level-triggered interrupts (as used in DOS, when
it uses interrupts at all), but not working with edge-triggered, used by
OS/2.

Alan Ballard                   | Internet: ballard@ucs.ubc.ca
University Computing Services  |   Bitnet: USERAB1@UBCMTSG
University of British Columbia |    Phone: 604-228-3074
Vancouver B.C. Canada V6R 1W5  |      Fax: 604-228-5116

sshoe@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Steven S. Shoemaker) (03/18/91)

In article <1334@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> dbl@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Lawson,,2933607,5999662) writes:
>HELP!!!!
>
>My parallel port WILL NOT work under OS/2 (any verison I have tried)
>I installed the correct printer driver and DOS/BIOS like the port fine.
>Also, the port is on one of these all-encompassing-cards, i.e.,
>2 serial, game, clock, and parallel.  The serial ports work fine,
>so does the clock, but not the LPT1:.  I am considering getting a parallel
>port on a card and trying that, any suggestions??? Thanks in advance.
>
>dave Lawson

In OS/2, parallel ports are interrupt driven.  DOS, on the other hand,
polls the port(s).  Therefore, to use parallel ports with OS/2, your
hardware must correctly implement hardware interrupts.  Many clone
parallel port boards do not, since DOS did/does not need interrupts.
Maybe you're lucky, and you just need to add/change a jumper to enable
parallel port interrupts.  Hope this helps.

tankus@hsi86.hsi.com (Ed Tankus) (03/18/91)

Try setting the interrupt for LPT2 from IRQ7 to IRQ5.  This is what I
had to do to get LPT2 to work on an Everex Magic I/O card.
--

"For every word, there is a song upon which inspiration lies ...".
Ed Tankus.   {uunet,yale}!hsi!tankus -- OR -- tankus@hsi.com