[comp.os.os2.misc] Porting C under UNIX to OS/2

remde@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Kevin Remde) (03/12/91)

Hello,

I've recently been given the task of researching the ins and outs of
porting C code from UNIX to OS/2 platforms.  I was wondering where I
might find books or other resources that might help me in this task.

Even better - are there any tools available (whether commercial or
otherwise) which will allow easy porting from UNIX to OS/2;
like maybe a library of UNIX-like functions for OS/2 development?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Kevin A. Remde			                  remde@ncrons.StPaul.NCR.COM
NCR Network Products Division	                  (612)638-7376

rad@genco.bungi.com (Bob Daniel) (03/19/91)

In article <907@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM> remde@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Kevin Remde) writes:
>I've recently been given the task of researching the ins and outs of
>porting C code from UNIX to OS/2 platforms.  I was wondering where I
>might find books or other resources that might help me in this task.

I have not ported a UNIX app to OS/2 but have done it to Macintosh.  The key
issue is the compiler you use.  I was using a compiler that contained all the
UNIX libraries (and ANSI C).  It was Think C.  This biggest issue that came
up was forking processes.  It was however relatively easy to deal with.  Just
modify it to run under the same process.

I've ported some small apps to Mac with almost no modifications.  I would think
the same can be done to OS/2 with a decent compiler.

I have not seen any books on porting code but if you are familiar with UNIX and
OS/2 programming, it isn't as difficult a task as it may seem. (Unless you
have a compiler w/out UNIX libs.)