[comp.os.os2.misc] Problem with Installation

c188-ba@volga.Berkeley.EDU (Jeffrey Yu) (03/16/91)

I'm having some trouble installing OS/2 EE 1.3.  When I try to boot
up the installation disk,  it comes up with a message at the top
of the screen about copyrights and stuff.  Then it clears the
screen and at the bottom gives me message saying that my country.sys
file is incorrect.  I'm supposed to fix the problem and then reboot.

The problem is that I don't know how to fix it.  I tried taking out
the codepage line in the config.sys.  Also, I tried adding a country
line.  Both cases came up with slightly different messages, but they
both complained about the country.sys file. (the differences was
between A:\COUNTRY.SYS and \COUNTRY.SYS)  My country.sys file is
24466 bytes long.  Has anyone else had this problem?

-Jeff.

thatton@lunatix.uucp (Tom Hatton) (03/17/91)

country.sys file is the proper size. This all asumes that you are an
english speaking person (of course) and that you have 1.3 EE (not that it
should matter)

   The only thing that comes to mind is that you are working with a clone
that doesn't like OS/2 (though it would be a first), or your installation
of the operating system wasn't ho-hum. When you install..you should get
to a screen that ask you if you would like to examine/edit the default
set-up, take a look at it to make sure that everything is peachy, then
install.
  I'm just courious, but what type of format did you use? HPFS or FAT??
And what is your hardware??

                           Hope this gives you some ideas
                           but I'm sure you have already
                           thought of this.

**********************>    hey?!?! What do you mean there's no Fat table??
**********************>    -----------------------------------------------
**********************>  uucp.lunatix   I still like toasters better.

adnan@elf.rice.edu (Sarmad Adnan) (03/17/91)

I had the same problem and a kind soul mailed me the solution.
I had the computer setup with drive a: as 3.5"  and b: as 5 1/4"
but had neglected to update this in the initial system setup. As
soon as I corrected this the installation completed without a
warning.
--

                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  Sarmad Adnan (adnan@rice.edu)

thatton@lunatix.uucp (Tom Hatton) (03/19/91)

        Country=001,C:\os2\system\country.sys  (in your config.sys)
   [C
 boot with your floppy and examine your config.sys file. And your
Date: 16 Mar 91 23:38:44 GMT

jfarley@pollux.svale.hp.com (Jens Farley) (03/19/91)

c188-ba@volga.Berkeley.EDU (Jeffrey Yu) writes:

> I'm having some trouble installing OS/2 EE 1.3.  When I try to boot
> up the installation disk,  it comes up with a message at the top
> of the screen about copyrights and stuff.  Then it clears the
> screen and at the bottom gives me message saying that my country.sys
> file is incorrect.  I'm supposed to fix the problem and then reboot.

This seems to be a common problem.  The problem is you have your A: drive
configured as a 3.5" drive but you're booting a 5.25" floppy (or vice
versa).