[comp.os.os2.misc] LAN Server problems

graeme@praxis.co.uk (Graeme Cutler) (03/20/91)

Can anybody help or throw some light on the following.....

For various reasons our LAN Server machine had to be rebuilt from new
(somehow our primary partition got trashed ;-().  We reinstalled OS/2 1.2
EE with LAN Requester and using a user defined config.cfg file for file
manager.  The config.cfg basically describes a 3Comm Ethernet card in
adapter 0 and a 16/4 token ring card in adapter 1.

The OS/2 installation went well - we experienced none of the previous
'funnies' with a typical OS/2 installation.  Once the installation had
finished we put LAN Server 1.2 - and that too went well.  Changed the
ibmlan.ini file so that the net$ command was using adapter 1 and not the
default adapter 0.  We then did a cold reboot of the machine.

Then things go wrong....  type NET START and it asks

No network services are started.
Do you want to start the requester service? (y/n) [y]:

We type Y!!  Then after the disk thrashes for a bit it comes back with

The Requester service could not be started.
NET3056: a system error has occurred.
OS2 error 59 has occurred.
SYS0059: An unexpected network erro has occurred.

The NET3056 error message is unhelpful.
But the SYS0059 gives:

SYS0059: An unexpected network error has occurred.
EXPLAINATION: Your workstation received an error from the
network that was not expected in this situation.
ACTION: Try the operation again.  If you continue to have
problems, contact your network administrator.

Well we tried it again and it produced the same result.

I can't understand what is going wrong   ;-(

When the machine powers up the config.sys seems alright.  The token ring
card seems to check itself out ok.  I've even tried a few programs I've
written which use the Netbios API and they fail to work first failling to
allocate the necessary resources (although that's not fatal) but then it
fails to add the name error hex 23 (verify that the adapter is present).
And another machine running LAN Manager is able to monitor the Servers
adapter card - so it is present on the ring.

I've put in the reference disk and it confirms that the Ethernet is in the
Primary slot and the token ring adapter is the alternate one.

Has anyone ANY ideas??

Thanks for the time

Graeme Cutler

spexet@ux.acs.umn.edu (D. Robert Spexet II) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar20.122456.2024@praxis.co.uk> graeme@praxis.co.uk (Graeme Cutler) writes:
>When the machine powers up the config.sys seems alright.  The token ring
>card seems to check itself out ok.  I've even tried a few programs I've
>written which use the Netbios API and they fail to work first failling to
>allocate the necessary resources (although that's not fatal) but then it
>fails to add the name error hex 23 (verify that the adapter is present).
>And another machine running LAN Manager is able to monitor the Servers
>adapter card - so it is present on the ring.
>
>I've put in the reference disk and it confirms that the Ethernet is in the
>Primary slot and the token ring adapter is the alternate one.

We've had our share of problems with this, also.

Does your machine beep during booting?  When we had this problem, our machine
beeped once, just before the Presentation Manager screen came up.

Also:  Did you use the REINST command to install your config.cfg file?

-D. Robert Spexet II, Post Office Box 14909, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55414-0909
 Internet:  spexet@ux.acs.umn.edu
 BITNET:    spexet@umnacux.BITNET
 UUCP:	    rutgers!umn-cs!ux.acs.umn.edu!spexet